[Ws2-transparency] Follow up from yesterday's call

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Fri Jan 13 14:13:25 UTC 2017

I appreciate your efforts Michael. I have a couple of questions/comments.

First, on open contracting I am uncertain what is meant by this sentence, “However, I think these examples should be enough to dispel the notion that these suggestions are in any way impractical or unworkable. If governments in the US, New Zealand and Australia can function perfectly well with parallel rules in place, there's no reason why ICANN couldn't do so.”

If that is one participant/rapporteur comment to the full CCWG or even just to our subgroup then it is a perfectly made comment. If by that, however, you mean that the issue is now resolved then I would disagree.

If you sent this just to our subgroup because the issue is back in our hands then I would simply note that the notion has not been dispelled for me. ICANN doesn’t have the budget or army of bureaucrats that these governments do. Moreover, I am not an expert on open contracting and would like to go back and read the comments made in the plenary meeting this past Wednesday on this issue.

I would suggest we have another call to discuss any issues that have been sent back to us for further work - or, if we wish to handle on list then in my opinion we should tee it/them up for a list discussion. I don’t think all of our participants were on the call yesterday and some who were on call may have been involved in chat and possibly missed part of the open contracting discussion.

Second, on human rights overlap, in my view discussions among the respective subgroup rapporteurs are good and helpful, but not determinative. Whether one report intrudes on the work of another subgroup’s work is for the groups to discuss and reach consensus, not just the rapporteurs – and eventually for the CCCWG plenary to decide. I think that is what you mean but think it best to check.

Best regards,
David

David McAuley
International Policy Manager