[CCWG-ACCT] Does the proposed change to the GAC Bylaw create a new "mandatory voting requirement" for the ICANN Board?

Mark Carvell mark.carvell at culture.gov.uk
Thu Dec 24 13:49:35 UTC 2015

Dear Milton

Thanks for your e-mail of 20 December. A few reactions mainly in defence.

The GAC is far from perfect and in particular we would like to see many
more active representatives attend the physical and virtual meetings, and
to be able to participate remotely (we are still trying to crack that
particular logistical hurdle). That said, the current average attendance of
60-70 governments is not bad going and compares very favourably for example
with the turn out for ITU Council working groups on Internet public policy
and WSIS.

*GAC detachment:* I re-iterate that the GAC is now engaging with the GNSO
to secure - where necessary and appropriate - the involvement of the GAC in
the early stages of policy development which as you will recall was an ATRT
recommendation to obviate the inherent risks of the GAC solely weighing in
with the Board at the final decision stage. The engagement mechanism
commencing with a "quick look mechanism" is now operational and the GNSO
liaison to the GAC (Mason Cole) his now active in that role. The GAC
recognises the need for that transversal linkage with the community and the
GAC and GNSO are making valuable progress to deliver on that front.

*Skilling up well-informed GAC representatives*: the UK Government is an
example of an administration which has a platform for regularly consulting
stakeholders at the national level. In our case we convene meetings with
UK-based ICANN stakeholder experts in a sub-group of my Department's
Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group on Internet Governance (MAGIG, our
equivalent broadly of CGI.br). This consultation group includes Nominet of
course and many other GAC reps also have close working relationships with
their ccTLD registry - in some case more directly linked to the national
government than in the UK's case.

Against the general trend in many administrations like the UK of shifting
HR policy to flexible, project-based postings, many of the GAC
representatives are longer term appointments in recognition of the
necessity of getting deep into a complex and fast-moving dossier with much
networking to master in order to succeed with well-grounded public policy
advice. Maintaining capacity in this unrelenting era of austerity cutbacks
remains a big challenge, however.

So I would contend that the image of ill-informed GAC representatives
working in ivory towers remote from the Internet industry and technology
change no longer holds true. The GAC is not the silo in a tent in the
garden that it was when I took up the UK seat in 2008. it once may well
have but, yes, I agree that the further enhancing of the GAC's
community-wide interaction continues to be an important objective. This is
in addition to sustaining the long-standing existing practice of regular
scheduling of joint meetings withe the SOs and other ACs during ICANN
public meetings. The intensity of the necessary GAC commitments on IANA
stewardship transition has alas inevitably put the squeeze on time during
recent ICANN meetings for interaction with other stakeholders on a much
wider range of issues. Hopefully we are now through through the worst of
that and our horizons can at last widen.

*Protection of geographical names:* if you track the GAC's working group on
this, you will note that this has a long way to go and there is no
consensus within the membership. The UK is amongst those who have signalled
the legal issues and argument to which you refer. This will continue to be
an issue on which we will consult our stakeholders as well as legal experts
at the national level, and to inform future GAC discussions accordingly.

One other thing: happy Christmas and best wishes for a successful and
prosperous New Year!

Mark

Mark Carvell
​United Kingdom Representative on the Governmental Advisory Committee of
ICANN

​
Global Internet Governance Policy
Department for Culture, Media and Sport