[CCWG-ACCT] Draft Agenda & Papers - WP1 Meeting #22 (28 July at 19h UTC)

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Tue Jul 28 12:16:00 UTC 2015

Hi Mark, all:

I have a question about one part of your statement:

On 29 July 2015 at 00:00, Mark Carvell <mark.carvell at culture.gov.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> Furthermore, these procedures may risk subordinating the global public
> interest if the GAC position on an issue (which conceivably it could also
> have initiated) were to be outvoted by other constituencies for example. In
> that scenario, I would expect that the view of governments would be that
> such community decisions would be rendered fundamentally unsafe.

Unless I am mistaken, this can happen today. The ICANN Board is obliged to
pay attention to GAC advice, but in the end is not obliged to follow it.

That would presumably be the same in a context where GAC had a proportion
of votes in a community mechanism, it could also see its concerns
considered seriously but not adopted.

You aren't implying or suggesting that this should change, are you?

thanks,
Jordan

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *