[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:18:49 UTC 2015

I agree in large part with Jonathan's remarks, though I do believe that
concrete and focused discussions of (f)actual issues that arose can be of
some value.  Data can be useful; it's the vague and ominous remarks and
hardening into "camps" that tends to be counterproductive.  It is possible
to have discussions about root causes of trust issues, and about clarifying
why the Board does what it does and why those things are seen as right by
the board even if not popular, as long as the goal is mutual understanding
and refining the work of the group.  Otherwise, this is just one of several
thematic "rat holes" that we tend to go down from time to time.

Just to respond briefly to Avri:

First, I don't see the main purpose of membership as "having a better
chance in court."  A membership organization is fundamentally different
from a non-membership organization in terms of accountability and power
structure.  In a member organization, the Board owes a fiduciary duty to
the corporation *and to the members*.  The members essentially sit *above* the
Board in the corporate hierarchy.  This is the basis of the rights (a/k/a
"mechanisms"), as well as the ability to enforce those rights, as well as
the tools (including but not limited to litigation) to implement
enforcement if need be.

Second, it is interesting to see the observation that  "Membership moves
the problem from accountabity of one ICANN to the accountabilty of the many
UA.  We move the problem of accountability to a space which is historically
not very transparent in its bottom-up mechanisms." and "We have close to no
experience in insuring that constituencies, stakeholder groups, RALOs, ACs
or SOs are accountable to their members."  I read this as a mistrust of or
concern regarding the stakeholders, or really the existing stakeholder
groups that claim to represent stakeholders.  Maybe I'm interpreting this
wrong, as it comes from someone who I see as a champion of the
multistakeholder model and voice in ICANN.  I agree that we have not (in
this group) explored the accountability of stakeholder entities to their
members, or the accountability of stakeholder entities (singly and
collectively) to the larger community, or for that matter, the
accountability of stakeholder entities to their non-member (and
non-participating) stakeholders.

If this is truly a deep concern, then it could be seen as a fundamental
flaw in our entire plan, which is based on the existing stakeholder
entities -- no matter how you design it (members, designators, delegates,
etc.).  I am not going to say that there is perfect accountability (and
transparency) flowing from stakeholder entity leadership to members, or
from active members to all members, or from entities to non-member
stakeholders, or from entities to the larger stakeholder community, etc.
In fact, I think there is real work to be done to improve stakeholder
entity accountability -- maybe even work for the CCWG in Workstream 2.
However, I don't think that it is so fundamental an issue that stakeholders
as represented by the existing stakeholder entities should not be empowered
with oversight and enforcement powers to hold ICANN accountable.  In other
words, I have sufficient (but not blind) trust in our multistakeholder
community to take on the roles envisaged in our draft proposal.

Greg