[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #1 _ 4 August 2016

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Mon Aug 8 06:33:33 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #1 - 8 August 2016 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/7ASsAw

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer
MSSI Projects & Operations Assistant
ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers

Notes

1.  Call Admin and Roll Call / Apologies (Sebastien Bachollet)

2.  Welcome - Opening Remarks

  *   General remarks

3.  Setting the scene of WS2 Work Stream 2 Design Team / Subgroups

Design Team / Subgroup working methods

  *   Reminder that this group reports to the CCWG-Accountability plenary.
  *   Time and day of the week meetings have been pre-booked to October 24 rotating between the 3 time slots of 0500, 1300 and 1900 UTC. Mostly Mondays
except for August `16 and September 6 which are on Tuesdays.

4.  Round of *brief* Self Introductions from all Participants and Observers

  *   Introduction of participants.
  *   Review of the list of participants and observers.

5.  Setting the scene of DT Ombudsman Discussion on WS1 result about Ombudsman

  *   Ombudsman role already expanded in WS1 wrt Reconsideration Requests
  *   CWG-Stewardship has also expanded with escalation for PTI.
  *   These roles are in addition to the Ombudsman existing role as defined in the Bylaws.
  *   what should be considered in WS2
  *   when are our deliverables due (March or June)?
  *   Are we talking about the Ombudsman or the office.
  *   Evaluate charter and operations vs industry best practices
  *   Recommend changes to make it effective.
  *   Additional roles
  *   How to avoid duplication?
  *   Advice to the next
  *   Ombudsman
  *   Sebastien Bachollet: Would seem to make sense to have our recommendations for March as the Board will be considering a new office of the Ombudsman.
  *   Chris LaHatte: changes should be brought as quickly as possible if any changes are needed.
  *   Herb Waye: any major changes will require a change to the Bylaws - so a quick changes may not be best.
  *   Avri Doria: many of the other groups may end up having co-dependencies with our work and as such it would be difficult to complete our work without having those results.
  *   Chris LaHatte: most important to get it right vs getting it done.
  *   Asha Hemrajani: Our focus here should be on the function of the office of the Ombudsman, rather than any particular person filling the role
  *   Herb Waye: Agree with Asha.
  *   Sebastien Bachollet: Dependencies will be critical.
  *   Chris LaHatte: see a possible strong link with Human Rights.
  *   Avri Doria: transparency, CEP processes
  *   Avri Doria: human rights perhaps as well.
  *   Avri Doria: SOAC accountability since where do they go when they have insoluble problems?
  *   Asha Hemrajani: +1 Avri - I think it would be useful to have "links" to or some kind of updates from the Transparency & CEP groups...perhaps even IRP?
  *   Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: that role or roles (additional from other DT's) as outlined by Chris and referred to as dependencies can surely at least be described in General
Terms (as required language) as we do early work on this topic?
  *   Sebastien Bachollet: Agree - we need to identify who will fill these linkage roles.
  *   Avri Doria: as a co-rapporteur of staff acct, i can fill that connector slot.
  *   Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: same here for AC/SO Acct
  *   Sebastien Bachollet: CLO were there any stress tests dealing specifically with the Ombudsman? could you report at the next meeting? CLO: Yes.
  *   Sebastien Bachollet: Industry Best practices. International Omb. best practices is on our Wiki page. If anyone has any relevant documents could they please post it to the list.
Action Item - who would be willing to take on producing a comparison of the current defn vs industry best practices.

6.  Discuss our work plan  [short and medium term]

7.  AOB / Next Meeting

  *   None
  *   Next meeting Tuesday Aug. 16 1300UTC

*  Adjourned

Action Items

Action Item - who would be willing to take on producing a comparison of the current defn vs industry best practices.