[CCWG-ACCT] "Christmas trees" and "Consumer Trust" in Article 1 of the Bylaws

Eric (Maule) Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Jan 13 03:18:33 UTC 2016

Carlos,

> For that reason I prefer to leave ICANN out of this discussion.
> The fight for human rights is at a different level.

Perhaps we could agree that from the earliest publications on packetized
communications, to the present, that those who contributed to what became
the ongoing activity of technical coordination of unique identifiers and
protocol parameters, have acted, as well as have argued, to extend the
benefits of unique identifiers for packetized communications, to later
adopters.

Perhaps we could agree that, however tragic, and comic, the USG's record
is in promoting human rights, the NTIA has some obligation, even some
record of activities, the benefits of which are not limited to domestic
national interests.

It might be more time consuming, but perhaps we could agree that no other
institution currently has, as its core mission, the continuous correct
function of what kc claffy has baptized the "skitter core" as a routing
platform, and the association of unique identifiers by instances of
communication through this concatenation of networks of networks.

If we agree to any one of these, or some other possible agreement, then we
have a means of promoting, or maintaining, operational art that has the
effect of extending the means to access "the internet", which has been
referred to as a "human right", and which also is referred to as being
"in the public interest".

I hope we can agree, whether those who agree there is a "human right" or
a "global public interest" form a minority of two or three or four, in
this awkward and contentious debate.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon