[bc-gnso] FW: [council] Motion for WHOIS Studies Funding for FY11

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 18 17:08:34 UTC 2010

Mike, thanks for the update on when the GNSO policy councilors will consider the funding for the WHOIS studies.

The background and existing positions of the Constituency fully support full funding of the two proposed studies and contingent funding for a third, in my view.

Background to my comment:
The BC positions regarding WHOIS are distributed in a few places in the website. Just in case others have some challenges finding all the relevant positions, besides the recent one that Susan developed/managed for the BC on the recent WHOIS accuracy report, I've attached a couple of others and note the very early [2004] Position Paper. .Page 6 of that Position Paper calls for more research and suggests that standards may offer solutions to the modifications to WHOIS.

For some period of time, myself, Sarah Deutsch and David Fares served as WHOIS TF and rapporteurs for the BC.  The materials I reference are related to that period. I was also the first Chair of a WHOIS TF, which undertook the first study on WHOIS uses.  I also provided co organization assistance to some of the WHOIS workshops, including the one in Canada, and the one hosted by the GAC in Luxenbourg.  Other BC members -- Sarah, David, Susan, Steve, Philip, Mike, Zahid.... and others-- have made extensive contributions. Overall, the BC has done more work on WHOIS than any other constituency. The depth and extensive knowledge, and balance represented by the BC's views remains, in my view from long standing involvement in the issue, and a global perspective on how access to stored data sources is treated both within Europe and in other regions, a very important perspective.

The BC has been joined with others who support accuracy and access of WHOIS data, but much of the leadership on this important issue has come from companies who are both BC members and sometimes are also engaged with associations who have a presence in the IPC.

April 2004: Business Constituency  Position Paper: Input to the GNSO Council Task Forces on WHOIS -- April 2004

January 2007: 11.2 Statement of the Commercial and Business Users Constituency - Submission of the BC WHOIS Task Force Members -- January 15, 2007

Oct 2007:  Statement of the Commercial and Business Users Constituency, regarding WHOIS, October 2007

[this submission included a resubmission of the January 2007 contribution]

My reference to these documents is both in my earlier role on a previous TF for the Constituency, and, as chair, to support the perspective that the BC's previous and standing positions fully support the Policy Councilors vote, and their work with others to gain other supportive votes, for the Council meeting on Thursday.

Marilyn Cade

BC Chair