[bc-gnso] BC Position Statement on Vertical Integration (VI) -- single registrant TLDs

berrycobb at infinityportals.com berrycobb at infinityportals.com
Sun May 16 21:04:40 UTC 2010

I tend to agree with Jon's comments below.  For sure, registration
caps should not be required for internal registrations.  In relation
to Case #1, I feel confident we will see strong consensus develop from
the VI WG on single-registrant TLDs.

WRT to Jon's point on cases 2 & 3, Registrations to third parties not
only can open the door to gaming, but IMO also begin to impede fair
competition.  For example, in case #3 Facebook offers a free or super
cheap 2nd level domain (berrycobb.facebook) to it's customer that
would  have otherwise purchased a 2nd level domain (berrycobb.social)
from the dot_social TLD at the going market rate.  Would this not
threaten the dot_social's business model?

My example may not be the best here, but I invite CBUC members to
review VI responses from Richard Tindal about threats to competition.
He has some good insight in to this issue.

Another variation to consider will be the not-for-profit
organizations.  The NCUC has mentioned several examples where business
models will supply 2nd level domains as a value added service.  Will
this have potential to threat competition.

As an FYI, I do believe the CBUC will need to set aside specific
conference calls to build our consensus position.  This will be a very
complex topic to bring everyone up to speed on the concepts and issues
in addition to any consensus that comes from the VI WG.

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb at infinityportals.com
http://www.infinityportals.com