[bc-gnso] ICANN DNS L-Root announcements

Baskin, James F (Jim) james.f.baskin at verizon.com
Mon May 21 19:16:43 UTC 2012

On a BC call about a month ago, I mentioned a question I had about a new instance of the ICANN L-Root that was mentioned in an ICANN announcement.  I did some research and determined that the Russian server mentioned in the April 5 ICANN News Alert is a standard Anycast instance, and not an item that needs any special attention from the ICANN community.

Since the April 5 Alert there have been two other similar ICANN news items - one announcing 14 new L-Root instances implemented in Brazil and another regarding L-Root instances in the Ukraine.  The news item about Brazil specifically identified those servers as Anycast instances.

Just to clarify that all of the mentioned L-Root instances mentioned are Anycast-based, I sent a note to Joe Abley, ICANN's Director of DNS Operations, last week seeking confirmation.  As soon as I hear back from him, I will pass the confirmation along to the BC list.

Jim Baskin