[cc-humanrights] More comments.

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 20:49:10 UTC 2015

Dear Monika and all,

I went through the report and added a few more comments (up to section 3).
I like very much the the angle of the analysis and the suggestions that
were made. I believe that more work needs to be done in order to connect
these suggestions with the day to day of ICANN's procedures and policy
development.

I also feel that a mapping of concrete cases in which human rights were at
stake (or will likely be at stake in the near future) would help to make
the case for some of the mechanisms and bodies that are being proposed
(some of them will generate expenditures that will need to be justified on
very concrete terms). Maybe this is a not something to be tackled by this
particular report, but it would be good to keep that in mind.

I think that the meeting in BA would be an excellent opportunity to present
this report, maybe as a draft report, and find the expertise necessary to
complete the analysis with an in depth look at ICANN's procedures and
policy development process.

Best wishes,
Marília

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:46 AM, zalnieriute . <zalnieriute at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Would it be fine if I address Marianne's and Gabrielle's comments into the
> document first, and then we give to Stephanie for grammatical edits she
> promised in an earlier e-mail?
>
> Let me know as we dont want to have several parellell versions at the same
> time,
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Monika
>
> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Marianne Franklin <
> m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>  Dear all
>>
>> Just wanted to say hello, rather late into this really interesting and
>> productive conversation on this CCWP for ICANN. The thread was quite long
>> and substantial so have had to take time to get up to speed; nothing like a
>> long train-ride to enable that!.
>>
>> Being relatively new to ICANN at this level of work, it is quite
>> encouraging to see how far this work has gone.
>>
>> I have not much to add in terms of the discussions around the title of
>> the document, and also the symbolic and legally substantive issues around
>> Human Rights as enshrined in international law and CSR. All the points
>> raised are for a non-expert make sense.
>>
>> A couple of comments if I may though on the document as it is readied for
>> circulation to the iCANN community; based on reading the penultimate draft
>> but hopefully still relevant for the final tweaks, and future references.
>>
>> 1) The revised preamble/framing of this initiative for ICANN folk: this
>> works pretty well now as long as there remains room for eventual inclusion
>> of later human rights treaties and covenants that tend to drop off the list
>> e.g. those on disability, the rights of women, rights of children etc.
>> ICANN may want to, at this very early stage, restrict its thinking to
>> privacy and freedom of expression, or focus on consumer rights at the
>> expense of more inclusive human rights norms and keep stipulating this,
>> particularly in terms of consumer rights and CSR frameworks. Nonetheless,
>> revising this project in a way that continues to more inclusive is in the
>> long term the right way to go even if there may be push-back: international
>> human rights law and norms do not stop with the ICCPR and ICESCR, and norms
>> change slowly over time as do legal instruments such as the UN Bill of
>> Rights .... :) .
>>
>> a) So moving from there to the current introduction; where a clear
>> distinction is made between protecting and respecting human rights. This
>> makes sense so do make sure that the remaining references to 'protecting'
>> human rights are redacted later in the document (e.g. page 18).
>>
>> b) That said and recalling point 1 above, the strong emphasis on how this
>> initiative will only acknowledge"human rights content [that] is limited to
>> internationally recognized human rights..." (page 8) strikes me as a bit
>> too restrictive in that international recognition of the full range of
> [...]

*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio
Researcher and Coordinator - Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law
School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate - www.diplomacy.edu
PoliTICs Magazine Advisory Committee - http://www.politics.org.br/
Subscribe "Digital Rights: Latin America & the Caribbean" -
http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en