[ST-WP] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for CCWG ACCT Meeting #37 16 June

Kimberly Carlson kimberly.carlson at icann.org
Tue Jun 16 14:37:53 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG ACCT meeting #37  - 16 June will be available here:

https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53780174

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you

Best regards,
Kim

Action Items
ACTION ITEM Clarify title of agenda item #4
ACTION ITEM: Staff/CoChairs to finalize 19 June agenda
ACTION ITEM: Read legal counsel's memos in preparation for Buenos Aires
ACTION ITEM: Cochairs to sit down with firms in BA to clarify process going forward to manage costs

NOTES
These high-level notes are designed to help you navigate through content of the call and do not substitute in any way the transcript.

Thomas Rickert, Greg Shatan are on phone only.
Reminder to update your SoI per Charter requirements.

Agenda for CCWG working session - 19 June
Goals for this meeting:
1. Agree on assessment of comments and drafting responses
2. Define key message for community engagement
3 Refine working methods in anticipation of public comment period #2
Reading list will include WPs' documents.
Freeze deadline is today - 23:59 UTC.
WPs are currently summarizing comments. It will be key substance for the 19 June meeting. We will identify items which require further discussion. We would like to try holding a debate on enforceability, cooperative model vs. membership model. Call for volunteers: supporter for cooperative approach (internal Bylaws) and vice versa. Objective is to obtain better understanding of perspectives.
This meeting will also be opportunity to start reflection on response to NTIA letter
We will prepare for set of meetings we have scheduled and agree on messaging.
- Request to change layout of debate and title - set of tools and options can be considered. Sebastien volunteers for agenda item #4
ACTION ITEM Clarify title of agenda item #4
- Presentation of perspectives - we should not be polarizing the debate
ACTION ITEM: Staff/CoChairs to finalize 19 June agenda
Deadline for documents is 23:59 UTC
---
Feedback on the legal advice
Is it mandatory to file the statement with the State Department for forming UA: answer no, recommend as evidence, we do file, but not mandatory.
Filing fees are $25 dollars
Question - Obligation UA reports, or assemblies, administrative issues, structures they need to fulfill.
UAs have no obligation of informing anyone about their activities unless they are active.
Question with regards to taxation: other duties that may be required by law to be fulffilled - answer: no obligation to file any tax declaration unless UA had economical activities - subject to filing tax declarations as needed.
No intention of looking into multiple jurisdictions
Any UA would be an envelope carrying the message to enforce powers.
Consequences need to be considered.
Can we have a membership organization where SO/ACs are indicated to be members in Bylaws without having them be a legal entity? Would it be an illegal construct?
--> It is not possible. As a threshold, members must be a legal person
- What enforceability means and how it would be used in practice.
- Suggestion to stop discussion and to discuss all 3 options in BA once we have big picture.
- ACTION ITEM: Read legal counsel's memos in preparation for Buenos Aires
- We need to look at requirements - how requirements are different according to models and prioritize based on that. Think deeply about underlying requirements as that will be key for the debate.
- Idea that building something to handle worst behaviors. We need to assume that people are not doing what they need to do.
- How can we ensure the person is following SO/AC instructions?

AOB
- We have reached out to all SO/ACs - we have responded to all requests and have not turned down any requests. It is still possible to accommodate requests.
- Worry about the number of lawyers that we have participating in calls and the money that is being spent. 1 from each firm is enough.
ACTION ITEM: Cochairs to sit down with firms in BA to clarify process going forward to manage costs.