[ST-WP] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for ST-WP #6 - 27 May

Kimberly Carlson kimberly.carlson at icann.org
Wed May 27 13:32:27 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG ACCT Stress Test WP Meeting #6  - 27 May will be available here:

https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53772513

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you

Best regards,
Kim

ACTION Items

Action: answer to Avri's question "What is special about being members or not members in our test." Seek an answer to this

Action: Steve to write up the scenario, and review on a future call.

Action to re-write a stress test scenario to address the main issues in the thesis. To be sent to Chris and Paul to check issues have been captured. And this may take the group to test 28 (expansion of stress test 12).

Notes

Stress Test WP Meeting #6 - 27 May 2015

This call is being recorded.

Links
ST-WP Drafts - http://tinyurl.com/mye8o3e

Chat sessions are being archived and follow the ICANN Expected Standards
of Behavior:
http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards

AGENDA:

NOTES & ACTION ITEMS:
These high-level notes are designed to help you navigate through content
of the call and do not substitute in any way the transcript.

Roll call as AC room

Towards the end of the public comment phase. Tuesday's 26 May CCWG call,
re-start the stress tests and consider the implications of the different
members and UA models on the test scenarios.

Will powers be enforceable, and legal counsel seems to be advising that
enforceability comes through California law. A common thread on the stress
tests: almost all have the words: block, veto, challenge, binding. Sends a
signal that the powers would be enforceable, not to rely on persuasion.

If we look at the stress tests and remove blocking, veto, challenging,
binding, do the tests still pass.

When listening to the lawyers, also hear them saying we could take
eachother to court right now. So this is not a special new power. For
those who don't like courts, hear the answer that but that's the answer
for the US.

If we created shadow UA, where there is the SO/AC chair or other as the
person making decisions, what holds them accountable to the group that
sent them? So unless the SO/AC are the UA, you are creating another legal
entity that is accountable to another non-legal entity.

Case of the At Large: the existing rules of procedure for the At Large
have clear rules for the removal of officers. Can be removed without cause
at any stage. This might need to be considered across the SO/AC.

Is a stress test needed: what if the designated member, the UA
representative, then what happens if they don't follow directions of their
community.

Should the stress test team look at the role of each SO/AC to see of they
means to remove there offices. Or produce a normative statement
recommending SO/AC action?

See stress test 12.

But stress test group's task is not to produced such normative statements.
That's the task of the whole CCWG. Consideration of capture internal to
the SO/AC. Might requrie fine tuning of stress test 12.

Text that when the representative is not heeding the wishes of their SO/AC
membership, this should trigger recall of a representative

New stress test that describes the flaw, when creating the individual to
represent the membership in the UA, when they are not listening/heeding
the membership, that recall and reappointment is appropriate.

They should act as instructed or as agreed by their community.

GNSO has five votes. And if one of the SG believes that the individual
holding the vote on their behalf is not acting, behaving ask directed by
that SG, then the SG would be able to remove that person.

3 scenarios. An identity between the SO/AC. The other extreme is the
chairs are designated as the members of the SO/AC. And fuzzy, when the
SO/AC is not an UA or has a UA attached to it.

May 3rd legal memo: 4 stress tests in that document, but only relating to
the UA. If a councillor refused to leave the stage, what would we do? May
quote from the memo in the new test. See
https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/52890082/REVISED%20Memo%20
on%20Unincorporated%20Associations%20May%203%2C%202015-207411876-v4.pdf

But, as the US can already take them to court. The end of every process,
potentially.

What is special about being members or not members in our test?

Question of winning. Should have standing, and members have that. And
winning once there.

Action: answer to Avri's question "What is special about being members or
not members in our test." Seek an answer to this

Stress test on budgets: power to veto: veto and block. we are talking of
an enforceable power. Without the power, we haven't improved
accountability. Have the ability to challenge through an IRP. And might
reverse the decision, but when reversed we expect it to be binding,
enforceable. So see a weakening of the first bunch of stress tests without
enforceability.

And to what degree is enforceability different for each member
arrangements?

from ST-WP that the action of comparison of powers from CCWG call of 6 May
will be required.

Stress test 9. Corruption/fraud. Force the board. To veto or block a
budget tainted by fraud. If board members were involved then they should
be recalled. This requires enforceability.

Go to court, or vote someone out. These are basically two unacceptable
ways of achieving a goal. What membership adds, is not acceptable. Why the
degree of enforceability rests in a court of law. But doesn't change the
answer in a column 3 of the stress test.

For consideration by the lawyers/legal team:
a comparison of enforceability among the different structures. A
comparision of enforceability. Standing and the likelihood to prevail

Chris Disspain suggested stress test (email displayed)

1. A vote that directs the board to take an action. The ability to force
to board to do something seems to be part of the CCWG myth. The AoC review
teams recommend and action, the Board decides not to as it's outside the
mission, the rejection of the Board action becomes a reversal of the
Board's decision to do nothing. Rephrase 1.

2. A disagreement about whether the issue was outside the scope of the
bylaws. Is it directing the board, or canceling the decision?

Action: Steve to write up the scenario, and review on a future call.

Is the court evaluation the authority of the community to make the
changes, or is it testing the substance of the issue. The court affirms
the community's authority. i.e. ultimate authority is being handed to the
members.

If an IRP evaluates a decision and revokes that decision, nothing has
changed.

Consideration of the email, analysis of it. Action to re-write a stress
test scenario to address the main issues in the thesis. To be sent to
Chris and Paul to check issues have been captured. And this may take the
group to test 28 (expansion of stress test 12).

First 30 on of the next call to review the rest of the stress test. And
the remaining hour for the two new scenarios: Disspain email and the
modification of the capture

Invite Chirs and or Paul Szyndler, and Leon if legal input needed.