[Acct-Legal] Legal Counsel Participation in CCWG and WP Calls: Response Required

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 23:49:03 UTC 2015

Co-Chairs and Rapporteurs,

The Legal Sub Team meeting today considered the issue of having legal
counsel on the CCWG and WP calls.  Counsel participated today in WP1's call
and I believe it was very helpful.  While counsel should not necessarily be
on every call, their participation on calls is a significant option to use.

On today's call, counsel indicated that they really need sufficient lead
time to be able to join the calls and to be useful on the calls.  At a
minimum, 48 hours notice is needed for the best use of our outside counsel
 Any less time, and they may not even be available (as they do have other
clients and commitments).  If they are available, they will need time to
read the documents under discussion and perhaps do some additional
background reading or have a discussion with the rapporteur.  If legal
research is needed, even 48 hours would not be sufficient.

Therefore, we would like the Co-Chairs and rapporteurs to consider, at your
very earliest convenience, which upcoming calls would benefit from legal
participation and to identify them to the Legal Subteam and counsel, along
with any documents that should be reviewed.  I know there are a significant
number of meetings in the next 2 weeks, so it would really be helpful if we
could map out counsel participation (or non-participation) in all of the
meetings between now and the planned issuance of the Draft Report.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Best regards,

Greg Shataqn
Acting Chair, Legal Sub Team

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*Partner* *| IP | Technology | Media | Internet*

*666 Third Avenue | New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>*

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*