[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Updated templates and action items

Erika Mann erika at erikamann.com
Mon Apr 8 19:08:28 UTC 2019

Dear All -

In light of the comments concerning this email exchange, I thought it might
be worth reminding you of the CCWG discussion on this topic during the Kobe
meeting in which we noted that:

“Evaluators may need to differentiate between what it is in the regular
operational budget and what has been funded on a more exceptional basis,
but this will be a determination that needs to be made by the evaluators in
line with the legal and fiduciary requirements”.

Similarly, the ICANN Board provided input on this topic in its most recent
letter (see https://community.icann.org/x/V7XRAw) noting that:

*2. Regarding ICANN SO/ACs:*

   1. *SO/AC structures that are not legal entities in their own right,
   independent of the multi-stakeholder ICANN structure, would be unable to
   apply for proceeds as they likely do not meet due diligence requirements as
   identified in the initial legal and fiduciary concerns memo.*

   1. *This would not preclude consideration of applications from
   participants in an SO/AC structure that are also established legal entities
   outside the multistakeholder model provided:*

*I. The request does not include an activity or project that is or should
be covered by ICANN’s operational budget;*

*II. Conflict of interest considerations are met, including but not limited
to ensuring that those applying are not part of the evaluation process; and*

*III. All other application criteria are met.*

As such, I would like to remind the small team of the action item coming
out of Kobe which was to review the example list as well as guidelines and
consider whether additional language should be added to reflect this notion
that “Evaluators may need to differentiate between what it is in the
regular operational budget and what has been funded on a more exceptional
basis, but this will be a determination that needs to be made by the
evaluators in line with the legal and fiduciary requirements” which are
also referenced in the Board input.

Thank you for all the work and I'm looking forward to our discussion on
Wednesday!

Erika