[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Mechanisms - the way forward

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 26 20:31:24 UTC 2019

Based on a number of discussions here and privately among the
At-Large Members, I would like to make a proposal.

We have been focusing on "mechanisms" for the last LONG while.
Perhaps that was a wrong approach.

Based on recent comments from Maartin and Sam, ANY mechanism will use
an arms-length project review process and it will not be ICANN
employees making the decisions. So let's put that to bed.

ANY of the mechanisms we have been looking at could be implemented so
that they meet our goals, albeit in different ways and potentially
for different costs. But any of them could also fail. For instance, a
Foundation has been discussed with the presumption that it will be
"independent" and not be subject to any direct ICANN involvement. But
as an example, PTI is a corporation separate from ICANN, but a
controlling majority of its Board is selected by ICANN and it
out-sources significant services from ICANN. If we were to implement
the Foundation that way, many among us would believe that it is not
at all independent.

So it is not the name that matters, or the corporate structure, but
the details of HOW it is implemented that matters.

Perhaps we should not worry about the "mechanism" and focus instead
on criteria. Based on that, I suspect the mechanism choice will be a
simple business decision and not the political (or religious?)
decision it now is.

One clear criteria is that the project selection should be done
independent of ICANN - already agreed upon by all.

What else is there that we feel might differentiate a good
implementation from a bad one?

Perhaps: Do not build processes/staff if the service can be readily
and economically outsourced?

Perhaps: Do not replicate services already available from ICANN if
they do not impact the integrity of the granting process (which
includes advertising, granting, project outcome evaluation, reporting)

There are likely more, but I suspect there are not actually that many.

Alan