[ChineseGP] Memo of CGP Fortnightly Meeting 7th August

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 19:34:50 UTC 2014

Dear Wang Wei,

Unfortunately I can't make tomorrow's meeting.

I have read through the various documents that have been circulated and here are a few thoughts:

·         I share Professor Zhang's concern about the CGP's repertoire being too large, although I realize that reducing it may be a huge task. I am interested in his suggestions for "slimming" it.

·         I also share his concern about large sets of variants, but would a modified definition of variant require a lot of work to implement?

·         Qi Chao mentions that the JGP is interested in examples and I think they will be interested in e.g. 发, as they may be surprised that it probably won't be possible to have two Japanese TLDs whose only difference is 発 and 髪. No Japanese person without a knowledge of Mandarin would think that those two have anything to do with each other. At least it is difficult to think of a situation where it could be a problem. There are also situations where one character in Japanese e.g. 弁 is at least three in Chinese: 辩, 辨 and possibly 瓣.

I wish you a fruitful meeting.

Regards,

Chris.

--

Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities, UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599) ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon