[ChineseGP] some questions for IP on CJK coordination

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 15 22:21:19 UTC 2015

I am fine with thinking of these are GP-defined types, but in some of
the IP documents we use the term subtype, so we should be aware that
these two terms mean the same thing.

>> 2)The variant type of “out-of-repertoire”
>>
>> In a work email last year, Asmus mentioned
>>
>> “The MSR already contains a default action  <action
>> disposition="invalid" any-variant="out-of-repertoire-var"
>> comment="any variant label with a code point out of repertoire is
>> invalid"/>”
>>
>> However, I didn’t find the definition of “out-of-repertoire” and the
>> corresponding action in draft-davies-idntables-09
>>
>> Will this part be added in the next version?
>>
> Can't comment on this. But no doubt Asmus or Wil can.

I'm currently revising the draft-davies-idntables and will see whether
this is appropriate to mention it there.

The key thing is to remember that from the XML formalism, one is free to
use any "type" values whatsoever, and any "disposition" values
whatsoever -- because the XML format is intended for ALL types of
domains, not just the root.

For the Root Zone LGR project, the IP has defined the type
"out-of-repertoire-var" and provided a default WLE <action> to resolve
it. That definition was made in the MSR.

Several of the documents that the IP created, including "Packaging the
MSR and LGR" (see the LGR Root Zone Project wiki) describe how to use
it. (Somebody had a link for that yesterday).

>> 3) suggestion about a new variant type and action type
>>
>> JGP-LGR-1 doesn’t have variants, but many CGP variants will be added
>> into JGP-LGR-2,which means, JGP will adopt many Chinese variants to
>> reach a CJK consensus,
>>
>> The meaning of most those variants are same, however, there are some
>> specific code points mean totally different things in Japanese
>> language environment, while the exchangeable variants in Chinese.
>>
>> Like 机/機,both  mean machine in Chinese, but mean machine and table
>> separately in Japanese.
>>
>> Though JGP will set them as variants and both “allocatable”, I wonder
>> if it is possible to create a new type of “allocatable-reserved” to
>> help tell the difference  in WLE.
>>
>> The corresponding action will go like <action
>> disposition="allocatable-reserved" any-variant="allocatable-reserved">
>>
>> Which means, when机上is applied, 機上will be generated and
>> allocatable, but a special process is needed before the real
>> delegation/activation of “機上”
>>
>> Because unlike the common allocatable variant label, the activation
>> of these “allocatable-reserved” label might bring domain name
>> disputes or abuse.
>>
>> does the new type suggestion make sense? Do you think it is practical ?

In general, the Root Zone process only allows the two dispositions
"allocatable" and "blocked" for variant labels (as well as "invalid" for
labels that are not valid at all). And dispositions for the labels are
not redefinable.

I understand from Yoneya-san's examples that there is a common practice
of multiple labels treated as variant labels by their applicant in the
.jp domain (and that the choice is not predictable by any rule). These
examples are good evidence that there is a rational basis for allowing
at least some of the CGP variants to be considered "allocatable" in the
JGP LGR.

This suggestion of an "allocatable-reserved" disposition would indicate,
there may be some other CGP variants for which considering them
"allocatable" in the JGP LGR is not as motivated. In other words, there
are some facts, which would make certain combinations of variants very
unlikely -- perhaps so unlikely that they do not need to be supported in
the root.

If that is the case, we need to understand how unlikely such
combinations are. Would an "exception" be needed rarely, but still
relatively often? Or is the desire to allow an exception mostly to
prevent even the risk of disallowing a single label?

The reason I am asking these questions is, that for the root zone, we
are requested to be conservative. Because of that, if some rule leads to
the prevention of a few possible labels (that are unusual to begin
with), it is more acceptable to not support such labels in the root,
than to make complicated additions to the system.

Therefore, the investigation by the JGP has to be whether it isn't
acceptable to treat these labels (where CGP variants are not
semantically related) as "blocked" instead of "allocatable-reserved". If
the result is that a small percentage of exceptional variant labels that
might have been allowed under the second level cannot be allowed under
the root, it would likely be better to live with such a restriction.
This would be in the spirit of "conservatism".

So, whether or not the Root Zone LGR process can actually create a
disposition like the proposed "alloctable-reserved" (and our hands may
be tied by the procedure) it would be important to have examples of
actual cases and an understanding on whether simply making these
"blocked" would be unduly restrictive in practice (and not just in theory).

In other words, it would be important to have the same kind of use cases
as Yoneya-san sent for the semantically related (old-vs.-new ideograph)
variants.

A./