[CWG-RFP3] Is there is a more suitable legal jurisdiction for an IANA subsidiary?

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Nov 7 15:10:03 UTC 2014

I don't think it matters. I am presuming whoever "ordered" is
empowered to do so. The most common would be a US court, but I am
guessing that there might be other agencies that have similar powers
(perhaps under national security laws).

Let me be more specific;

A change of venue for IANA seems to be driven by a desire to remove
it from ICANN's US jurisdiction.

Presume IANA is now a wholly owned subsidiary incorporated in Lower
Slobovia and is no longer directly subject to US law.

My question is whether a US court (or other similarly empowered
agency of the government) can order ICANN, which IS within their
jurisdiction, to require its wholly owned subsidiary to do something?
If that is the case, the benefits of the change of jurisdiction are negated.

Alan