[CWG-Stewardship] A liaison from the Board to CWG

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 20:53:46 UTC 2015

John, it's become clear that the NTIA is going to want a turnkey proposal.
A proposal that does not include all the implementation pieces would be
sent back as incomplete.  It may be possible to engage in some informal
discussions with the ICG, etc., to see if we're on the right track, so we
don't waste time and resources, but the submitted proposal has to be such
that it can be activated seamlessly upon the extinction of the NTIA IANA
Functions Agreement.

Christopher, the only ones who would be directly remunerated for working
with the CWG would be the independent legal counsel; they will be
remunerated by ICANN.  Everyone else is a volunteer.  That said, for some
people, it may be part of their job responsibilities to participate, while
others may be doing this outside of any mandate from an employer or
client.  So, "volunteer" may mean different things to different people.

Greg

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Christopher Wilkinson <
lists at christopherwilkinson.eu> wrote:

> Thankyou, John. Very interesting and relevant comments and advice.
>
> > … unnecessary waste of resources (time and attorney fees)
>
> BTW, who is being remunerated by whom for work in this area? I am under
> the impression that the members and participants of CWG are volunteers.
> Correct?
>
> Regards
>
> CW
>

> On 23 Feb 2015, at 19:39, John Poole <jp1 at expri.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Jonathan and Lise and Greg:
> I very much support the idea of a Board liaison. I suggest consideration
> be given, in choosing the liaison, of a member of ICANN senior staff who
> has access not only to the Board, its Chair and the ICANN CEO, but also
> ICANN legal staff and outside counsel (Jones Day). The CWG is now grappling
> with very sensitive issues that could impact the Board, ICANN as a whole,
> and its future legal liabilities post-Transition (see, for example, my
> earlier post to Avri
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/2015-February/001879.html )
>
> It is also for this reason, I have some concerns about the methodology
> proposed going forward--"design teams" etc. My perspective, of course,
> relates to the external Trust proposal with which I am most familiar ( as
> amended
> <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/2015-February/001774.html>
> ). I have no problem with Jonathan's most recent Proposed Design Team:
> IANA Service Levels
> <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/2015-February/001882.html>
> however I would suggest that the "design team" first begin their work by
> obtaining from the IANA department, the existing, in place, IANA Service
> Levels metrics (from which many reports are presently published) and the
> existing Complaint Process for IANA-related complaints. Then ask what is
> missing, needs to be changed, or added?
>
> At our last meeting it was said by Greg Shatan that the CWG proposal
> needed to be "turn-key" (all the details included). Some disagreed then, I
> disagree now. We need a proposal that sets forth a framework in sufficient
> detail to meet the requirements of NTIA, expectations of ICG, and include
> components deemed necessary by the Names community, in order to transition
> NTIA out of its current role "in the coordination of the Internet’s domain
> name system (DNS)." Once ICG has approved the CWG proposal, then additional
> work can be done to make it "turn-key." If the ICG rejects the CWG initial
> proposal, we will not have wasted time and money unnecessarily.
>
> In the context of the external Trust model, the Trust instrument
> (document) does not need to be drafted now--that would be an unnecessary
> waste of resources (time and attorney fees)--it should be sufficient to
> indicate the sources of its principles (NETmundial Statement
> <http://netmundial.br/netmundial-multistakeholder-statement/>, Affirmation
> of Commitments
> [...]

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*Partner* *| IP | Technology | Media | Internet*

*666 Third Avenue | New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>*

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*