[DTM Escalation] Possible Use cases

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Mar 20 14:23:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

Sometimes I have to give up before the thoughts I need start coming to me.

Some possible cases.  Not sure about them all, but put out a call for
suggestions on a couple of lists I am on.  I am still getting email and
trying to pick the best offerings to pass on.

- One of the new TLDs, especially one in a 'critical' area, is not
keeping up its TLD whois correctly and cannot be reached.  Do they need
to go through ICANN compliance or can they go directly to IANA to
complain.  And if they do go through complainace, does compliance have
access to an escalation procedure.

- IETF produces a new set of protocol elements  for TLDs and IANA has
not implemented it. For example a new twist to DNSSEC, or a even
replacement for DNSSEC.    Assume this is a change that registries are
not fond of and IANA is not particularly interested in either.  Who do
those affected, supposing it is not Registries but user communities,
complain to?

This begs the question: are IETF protocol changes mandatory on IANA if
they affect the Namining community. Can the decision to implement new
protocol elements in the DNS be subject to any ICANN policy process?
Who decides which protocols IANA implements and which options are made
mandatory.

- A security expert notices a new  threat in the IANA DNS
implementation.   Can they notify IANA and escalate the issue?  Or is
their only solution to either convince the SSAC or to write very visible
articles?

Speaking of the SSAC, or RSSAC for that matter,  if they notice that
something needs fixing, who do they call?

- Minsistry A decides that a redelgation of their sovereign TLD was done
without their approval (maybe Ministry B said it was ok.) How if this
handled. Is there an escalation procedure?

- A national user community objects to a re-delegation saying the RFC
1591 was not adhered to in granting the delegation to NewRegistry who is
in bed with Minister A (figuratively, I assume).  Who do they take their
case to and how do they escalate it if thy don't get satisfaction?

---