[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Transformation required at the validation stage?

James Galvin jgalvin at afilias.info
Thu Jul 17 13:17:09 UTC 2014

On 7/14/14, 11:46 AM, Dillon, Chris wrote:

> At one point Jim Galvin asked whether transformation would be required
> at the validation stage. I would say no to that question. The original
> language/script data are primary and suitable for validation. It's not
> that transformed data cannot be validated, but they need to be high
> quality (outside Greek, Cyrillic and alphabetic scripts often created
> by human being rather than a computer). Actually I think Rudi made a
> similar point later in the call, but just to clarify that.

Perhaps I should listen to the recording to get more context. However,
one point that occurs to me is that I don't think you can give an
unequivocal no just yet.

Consider the question of whether or not a single script and language is
required.  If we decide that all registration information is to be in a
single script and language, then we can consider the question of which
presentation of the data to validate: the original input data or the
transformed data.

I would argue that if the chosen single script and language is to be
"official", then that presentation of the data should be subject to all
the validation requirements.  The input data will need to be normalized
so that it can be transformed.  We will need to keep the input form of
the data for audit purposes.  However, validating the input form seems
to me to be tantamount to simply supporting all languages and scripts,
which makes me wonder why we would choose a single language and script
for all data.

This is my current thinking.

Jim