[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 13 March 2014

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Mar 13 15:24:25 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Charter Drafting Team call held on Thursday 13 March at 14:00 UTC at:
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20140313-en.mp3> http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20140313-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar%23mar> http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#mar

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO

Master Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Jim Galvin - SSAC

Ahkuputra Wanawit – GAC
Mae Suchayapim Siriwat – GAC
Peter Green - NCUC
Petter Rindforth – IPC
Rudi Vansnick – NPCO

Chris Dillon – NCSG

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana – GAC

Jennifer Chung - RySG

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben – ISPCP

Amr Elsadar – NCUC

Ephriam Percy Kenyanito – NCUC

Apologies:
Justine Chew – At-Large

Peter Dernbach – IPC

ICANN staff:

Julie Hedlund

Amy Bivins

Glen de Saint Gery

Lars Hoffman

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx> http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

GNSO Secretariat

 <mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org> gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org

 <http://gnso.icann.org> http://gnso.icann.org

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 13 March 2014

 Lars Hoffmann:Welcome to the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group on Thursday 13 March 2014

  Rudi Vansnick:hello everyone

  Rudi Vansnick:ruudisoc = skypeid

  Rudi Vansnick:no problem for me on Sunday

  Jim Galvin:still on hold waiting to be connected....

  Chris Dillon:Hello, all!

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Hello Chris, Hello all!

  Jim Galvin:now on the call

  Terri Agnew:Wolf Knoben has joined

  Amr Elsadr:Dialling in now.

  Terri Agnew:Amr Elsadar has joined

  Chris Dillon:https://community.icann.org/display/tatcipdp/List+of+correspondence+received

  Rudi Vansnick:use full screen Julie

  Amr Elsadr:The NCSG response is not listed.

  Amr Elsadr:Still have no audio. Waiting for operator.

  Rudi Vansnick:i only see a cursor moving around

  Terri Agnew:Amr will get op on this

  Petter Rindforth:Can*t see anything on the screen?

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Terri.

  Amr Elsadr:Just joined the call, but have a blank screen with a cursor floating around in the AC room.

  Rudi Vansnick:@Amr : indeed

  Rudi Vansnick:use th elink to the page https://community.icann.org/display/tatcipdp/List+of+correspondence+received

  Julie Hedlund:I went into full screen and I'm not sure why it's not showing

  Amr Elsadr:Haha. So it's not just me. :)

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Rudi.

  Julie Hedlund:Unfortunately when I am showing the screen then I cannot read the chat room -- so I apologize for not realizing that you couldn't see the screen

  Julie Hedlund:I've stopped sharing for now.

  Julie Hedlund:@Chris -- the share screen doesn't seem to be working.  I suggest that you send the links.

  Amr Elsadr:Wasn't the NCSG response sent in?

  Julie Hedlund:I can try sharing again, but I don't know if it will work.

  Chris Dillon:https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=44960108

  Julie Hedlund:Can you see the screen?

  Julie Hedlund:This time?

  Rudi Vansnick:we see your screen with the adobe, not the shared one

  Julie Hedlund:Sorry -- not sure why it's not working

  Julie Hedlund:I'll try something else.

  Amr Elsadr:Screen sharing is working now.

  Lars Hoffmann:I'll send it out right now

  Lars Hoffmann:i un-synched the document and you should be able to scroll through it yourself

  Peter Green-CONAC:I agree, not exact point of translation is mentioned in our Response

  Amr Elsadr:And I completely agree with the PRC's points.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Chris.

  Lars Hoffmann:Here is the link to the REport:

  Lars Hoffmann:https://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/initial-report-24jun13-en.pdf

  Rudi Vansnick:i think we should use them as basic material

  Amr Elsadr:I have no objection to addressing each of the items listed in the table. It seems like the most comprehensive list we've yet seen.

  Amr Elsadr:@Jim: For validation/verification, I'm guessing it would be more practical to just go ahead and validate/verify the contact info provided in one langauge/script, whatever it is.

  Amr Elsadr:Trying to match them from one language/script to another will be very problematic.

  Jim Galvin:@amr: are you suggesting a uniform single language/script or that one should be chosen per registry?  Consider the following.

  Amr Elsadr:I'm suggesting that registrars providing services in different languages/scripts conduct validation/verification in those scripts with no need for translation/transliteration + matching different languages/scripts. Not a uniform single language/script.

  Jim Galvin:In our discussions in the IRD recommendations EWG we have observed the UPU standards state that address information requirements is set by the "nation state".  Thus, a registrant should reasonably be expected to enter their address in a language/script appropriate for the region.  It also seems to follow that validation/verification of address information would be most practical if it was presented according to the local requirements.

  Amr Elsadr:@Jim: That recommendation sounds like a good one to me. :)

  Rudi Vansnick:+1

  Amr Elsadr:Come to think of it, I wouldn't leave it up to the nation-state, but to the registrant.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:but with the new gTLD where it is more context based, not location based

  Amr Elsadr:@Pitinan: Good point.

  Rudi Vansnick:although be carefull, some nations use several languages being official national languages

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:picking the preferrable language would be ...tough

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: Also a good point.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:@Rudi +1

  Jim Galvin:The issue you run into is with registrars.  They have a global presence and thus how do you "restrict" or "manage" an arbitrary registrant?  Could it be that you reject registrants who attempt to enter contact information from regions you can't process?

  Rudi Vansnick:a registrar is not equel to a country or language

  Amr Elsadr:I recognize that my suggestion would also present some challenges, like if a registrar loses its accreditation.

  Amr Elsadr:It would be problematic to transfer the registrant contact information if no other registrar providing services in a specific language/script is available.

  Jim Galvin:@amr - yes one could say it's a market/business issue. but it is a point that registrars will care about because it creates a "restriction" they don't have today if they have to allow the language/script appropriate for the region of the address.

  Jim Galvin:@amr - and the transfer issue that you note.

  Amr Elsadr:I don't see it a restriction, but a competitive issue. Nothing wrong with that. :)

  Jim Galvin::) I agree but not everyone else does.

  Amr Elsadr:Technically, there's no restriction. A registrar based in Germany could hire staff in China if they thought the Chinese DN registration market is worth it.

  Chris Dillon:exonym

  Chris Dillon:Bangkok

  Chris Dillon:endonym Krung Thep

  wolf knoben:@Amr: It's going more and more vice versa :)

  Amr Elsadr:All I'm saying is let demand and supply work it out. No need for overbearing policies. That's where the real restrictions are. :)

  Rudi Vansnick:is there a need to refine the questions ?

  Rudi Vansnick:up till now I have some difficulties to define the prioritization of the questions

  Rudi Vansnick:any suggestions for Singapore ?

  Amr Elsadr:Why does this WG always get the 07:30 times?? :)

  Chris Dillon:Woe is indeed us.

  Amr Elsadr:Someone's got it in for us!! :)

  Rudi Vansnick:@Amr : due to translation of the hour (tiume)

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: hahaha!!

  wolf knoben:I apologize for not being in Singapore. But I'll follow what's going on. Have a nice meeting!

  Chris Dillon:Thanks

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Thanks Chris

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Chris. Bon voyage. :)

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you everyone and safe travels to those going to Singapore!

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Bye all, thanks

  Amr Elsadr:Bye all. Thanks.

  Petter Rindforth:The same to you all

  Jennifer Chung:Thanks Chris, thank you all.  Bye

  Chris Dillon:Until Singapore!

  Peter Green-CONAC:bye all, see you in Singapore