[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] PLEASE READ: Co-Chairs' proposal for moving forward to determining consensus

Paul Tattersfield gpmgroup at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 17:41:26 UTC 2017

Mary, I respectfully disagree with this approach as I believe it hinders
our attempts to find the correct solution.

Please can either of the co-chairs provide a simple written reply
confirming that they accept the reasoning below * or in the alternative
that they disagree with it, please can they provide a reasoned explanation
as to why it should be refuted?

Thanks,

Paul

** Why the IGOs are never entitled to an immunity defence*

Absent UDRP there are two possible ways the immunity question could come
before a court:

(a) A TM owner seeks to acquire a domain which an IGO has registered
(b) An IGO seeks to acquire a domain which a domain registrant has
registered

In (a) the IGO would be entitled to raise an immunity defence
In (b) the IGO would be required to waive immunity for the court to
consider the matter.

As the UDRP is an administrative procedure to help take less complex cases
out of the judicial system if UDRP is to afford the same protections as any
other forum then UDRP needs to take into account both cases.

(a) A TM owner seeks to acquire a domain which an IGO has registered by
bringing a UDRP
(b) An IGO seeks to acquire a domain which a domain registrant has
registered by bringing a UDRP

The working group has not looked at (a) which hides the fact that in (b)
the IGO is never entitled to immunity under any circumstances after
initiating an action.

Most of the reasoning in the Swaine report applies to (a) and is therefore
not relevant to the working group's report as we are not considering (a)
the case where a TM holder initiates UDRP proceedings against an IGO.

For example from the working group’s draft report (page 17):

*There is no single universal rule that is applicable to IGOs’
jurisdictional immunity globally. Rather, such immunity is essentially
contextual - IGOs generally enjoy immunity under international law, but
different jurisdictions apply the law differently, and even within the same
jurisdiction different IGOs may be treated differently:*Including this is
clearly incorrect as this reasoning can not be applied to (b) and the
report does not consider (a)