[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] New task

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Dec 23 11:16:26 UTC 2012

On 23 Dec 2012, at 05:49, Jonathan Robinson wrote:

> The question should simply be "should there be any restrictions on resubmitting motions that previously appeared before the Council?  If so, what should those restrictions be and are there any exceptions?

I think that the answer is yes there must be restrictions. I suggest the following 3

1. there should be an interval of several months
2. there should have been a substantive change to the motion
3. there should be a change in the countervailing conditions.

Reasons that are not acceptable:

-  I did not understand how I should vote
-  I now see the error of my vote

Otherwise, there is no reason to not bring up a losing motion each and every meeting.

And things that should never be accepted is a chair explaining the way to vote after a vote has already been cast.  It is very difficult to not see that as vote manipulation.

There should be not exceptions, and the Chair should not have discretion in this matter.  The impression of a chair losing his or her neutrality by appearing to manipulate a vote is a very bad thing for the g-council.

avri