[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Charter revision -- what is our goal?

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Thu Jun 6 17:08:47 UTC 2013

Hi Mikey,

I think the Charter revisions fall into the category of "do something
else, to accomplish the following goals."  The goal is to update the
charter because it does not have a procedure for selection of the chair
and vice-chair, and make other updates.  Perhaps a bit of background will
be helpful.

Last fall Wolf-Ulrich announced that he would step down as Chair to allow
someone new to take his place, since he had been Chair since the
establishment of the SCI in April 2011.  This meant that the SCI had to
hold an election for Chair and it found that there were no procedures for
such an election in the SCI Charter.  After agreeing to a procedure, an
election was held in December 2012 that resulted in Ron being elected as
Chair and Avri taking the post of Vice-Chair.  (This is reflected in
meeting agendas for 2012 on the wiki at:
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosci/1.+Meetings, and in the
meeting notes/actions in the email archive.)  In December (20 December
meeting) the SCI, having realized the need to update the Charter to
include the election process and terms for the Chair and Vice Chair, asked
staff to include the changes in a revised Charter.  The SCI discussed the
revised charter on the list and in the meetings on 09 January, 23 January,
and 06 February.  The changes were agreed to by the SCI, but it noted that
the Charter may require other updates so it asked for volunteers for a
Charter Revision Drafting Team at the meeting on 20 February.

The following SCI members volunteered for the Drafting Team: Avri Doria,
Angie Graves, James Bladel, J.Scott Evans, and Wolf-Urich Knoben.  J.Scott
agreed to lead the group.  They had a couple of meetings and drafted an
updated version of the Charter that was presented to the SCI prior to the
Beijing meeting.  That version is the one currently circulating, with
additional changes concerning consensus discussed in the call on 22 May
and the minor grammatical changes discussed on the call on 04 June.

Other SCI members may wish to provide their thoughts about the goal of the
Charter update, particularly those who were on the Drafting Team.

Best regards,

Julie