[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Action items: SCI Meeting 05 August

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Aug 5 21:07:42 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

Just following up on Action Item #2: the ICANN Bylaws provide for the
election of two Board members by the GNSO (one from the Contracted Parties
House, and one from the Non-Contracted Parties House). What the GNSO
Operating Procedures require in that regard is a set of rules for such an
election by each House, to be added as an Annex to the GNSO Operating
Procedures. I¹m informed that the Secretariat is already working with the
CPH to finalize their rules, and will do the same with the NCPH after they
elect a candidate for Board Seat 14 (which they are currently in the process
of doing). As such, while there is an item to be developed for the Operating
Procedures, it is currently "in process" and so the SCI will not be required
to review the existing provisions in the GNSO Operating Procedures at this
time.

FYI, the pertinent provision in the Operating Procedures states:

"Each House is responsible for establishing its own internal procedures for
nominations, interviews, voting, and candidate selection; however, those
processes must be documented and forwarded to the GNSO Council for inclusion
as ANNEXES to the GNSO Operating Procedures.²

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers
Mary

Mary Wong