[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] MP3 recording of the SCI meeting - 22 July 2014

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Jul 22 21:59:34 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording of the Standing Committee on Improvements
Implementation meeting held on Tuesday, 22 July 2014 at 19:00 UTC.

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-20140722-en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-20140722-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jul> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jul

(transcripts and recording are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:

Ronald Andruff - Commercial and Business Users Constituency - Primary -
Chair

Greg Shatan - IPC - Alternate

Thomas Rickert - Nominating Committee Appointee - Alternate

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPs and connectivity providers Constituency (ISPCP) -
Primary Member

Avri Doria - Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG) - Primary Member

Cintra Sooknanan (Vice-Chair) - Not-for-Profit Organizations Constituency -
NPOC Constituency - Primary Member

Lori Schulman - Not-for-Profit Organizations Constituency - NPOC
Constituency - Alternate

Amr Elsadr - Non-Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC) - Primary Member

Apologies:
Jen Wolfe - Nominating Committee Appointee

ICANN Staff:
Mary Wong

Julie Hedlund

Glen de Saint Gery

Terri Agnew

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

Adobe Chat Transcript 22 July 2014

Terri Agnew:Dear all, welcome to the SCI meeting on the 22nd July 2014 at
19:00 UTC

  Ron A:Hello all, I just noted that we will be getting started at 3:04 EDT
to all for any late comers.

  Ron A:all = allow

  Cintra Sooknanan:3.04 very precise

  Mary Wong:FYI Ron, I didn't get any notifications of absences/apologies;
not sure if Julie or Terri or the Secretariat did ...

  Amr Elsadr:Hi. Just Dialled in. Apologies about the prolonged absence.
Hope you're all well.

  Mary Wong:Welcome back Amr!

  Amr Elsadr:Thnx Mary. ;-)

  Mary Wong:Hope you (and everyone else on the call, of course) are well.

  Amr Elsadr:That IS bad news. :(

  Amr Elsadr:Thnx Ron. :-)

  Julie Hedlund:All -- I have unsynced the document that is being displayed.

  Terri Agnew:Lori Schulman has joined

  Lori Schulman:My apologies for the late arrival.

  Cintra Sooknanan:I am happy with the text suggested

  Ron A:Welcome Lori.

  Amr Elsadr:@Greg: True. Just saying IF the need arises, it will be
problematic. The conditions for a resubmitted motion are quite clear.

  Greg Shatan:@Amr: I think its a problem that could and should be
anticipated by the resubmitters.

  Amr Elsadr:Yes..., which is why it should be clarified when submitting the
suggested language to the Council.

  Greg Shatan:Agree it can be noted in the submission.

  Mary Wong:@Greg, agreed. And to the extent there is that overlap, the
provision does have a safeguard in the need for a unanimous vote to allow
it.

  Greg Shatan:I missed the call.  :-(

  Amr Elsadr:The language suggeste exceptional basis to me.

  Amr Elsadr:*suggests

  Mary Wong:That was my takeaway as well, Ron.

  Amr Elsadr:There have actually been irregularly scheduled council meetings
in which votes have taken place.

  Amr Elsadr:@Mary: +1

  Mary Wong:Or how about taking out "for inclusion on the agenda for a
regularly scheduled GNSO Council meeting" so that it just reads "submitted
in accordance with these Op Procs"?

  Lori Schulman:You use "regularly scheduled" in Section 2, bullet 3.

  Mary Wong:That's true

  Amr Elsadr:I think the context is different in those bullets.

  Amr Elsadr:as well as in 1 bullet 3.

  Amr Elsadr:@Greg: +1

  Lori Schulman:Then maybe define "regularly scheduled"?

  Lori Schulman:It might be confusing.

  Lori Schulman:No intention to wreak havoc.

  Amr Elsadr:@Greg: Isn't this beyond the scope of this issue?

  Amr Elsadr:We're talking about email voting here.

  Mary Wong:@Avri, that is correct (as to why the phrase is being used
here).

  Mary Wong:No worries, Ron :)

  Mary Wong:This language will permit the Council to have a special meeting
but not necessarily take a live vote at that special meeting (for some good
reason).

  Mary Wong:In that, they can do an e-vote after the special meeting but
perhaps before the next "regularly scheduled" Council meeting, ie more
flexibility.

  Mary Wong:@Greg, that is correct.

  Mary Wong:Though I'd advise leaving it in for the first sentence - it
doesn't add confusion but reflects the usage elsewhere so prob no harm
leaving it in?

  Amr Elsadr:I'm sorry. I don't understand why we need to take them out of
these three sentances. They seem relevant to me.

  Greg Shatan:We're only suggesting taking them out of Section 5.  Leaving
them in elsewhere.

  Lori Schulman:There is static.  Can't hear.

  Terri Agnew:You are breaking up

  Mary Wong:Amr sounds like he's in a high wind ...

  Amr Elsadr:Not here, but I hear it too.

  Terri Agnew:We are trying to find the line causing noise

  Lori Schulman:HIgh wind sound for sure.

  Greg Shatan:It stopped.

  Greg Shatan:And it's back.

  Lori Schulman:I understand as removing it from second sentence in %.

  Lori Schulman:5

  Greg Shatan:The Wind Cries Mary.

  Lori Schulman:Wait, in actions, Mary just typed take out "regularly
scheduled" in the 2 instances.  I thought we said the second instance.

  Julie Hedlund:@Lori -- I wrote that because that is what I thought I heard
Ron say.

  Greg Shatan:I had suggested both instances in 5.

  Greg Shatan:That is what Ron said....

  Lori Schulman:I think it makes sense in the first instance but not the
second.  The second instance is where removal gives the GNSO more
flexibility.

  Amr Elsadr:From a technical perspective, I'm curious how the ability to
submit comments along with the ballots would be done.

  Lori Schulman:I mean leave it in in the first instance. Remove in second.

  Ron A:Yes, Lori.  more flexibility is what this particular issue is about.

  Lori Schulman:Then the first instance distinguishes between "outside" and
regularly scheduled meetings and should stay in for clarity.

  Lori Schulman:The second instance is what should be removed for
flexiblity.  At least, that is how I understand it.

  Avri Doria:btw, i have never been white water rafting, but after this
meeting i realize i need to add it to my list of things to do.  i mean i
said it twice.

  Lori Schulman:I think I see.

  Lori Schulman:Sorry Julie.

  Lori Schulman:Just trying to keep up.

  Greg Shatan:I move that we all go white water rafting.

  Mary Wong::)

  Julie Hedlund:Sounds fun!

  Lori Schulman:Does that mean we are  up the creek without a paddle?

  Mary Wong:LOL, Lori!

  Cintra Sooknanan:5 August

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you everyone!

  Cintra Sooknanan:Thanks, Good bye

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks everyone. Bye.

  Ron A:Thanks all!  Enjoy your summer!

  Lori Schulman:Have fun!   I will be in the woods...rafting for real in
West Virginia.

  Ron A:Enjoy Lori!!!

  Lori Schulman:Thanks.