[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1] Notes and Action Items: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - Track 1 - 5 September 2017

Emily Barabas emily.barabas at icann.org
Tue Sep 5 21:12:14 UTC 2017

Dear Work Track members,

Please see below the action items and notes from the meeting today.  These high-level notes are designed to help WG members navigate through the content of the call and are not a substitute for the recording or transcript. See the chat transcript and recording at: https://community.icann.org/x/7hkhB.

Slides are attached for reference.

Kind regards,
Emily

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

2. SOIs
-- No SOI updates

3.  Review of CC2 responses to WT1 questions

a. Applicant Support

- Summary of discussions to date: possible reasons that may have contributed to the liminted number of applications; suggestions on how to address the issues identified (see slides for details).
- Question 1.2.1 - feedback on proposal to expand the Applicant Support Program
- BC, RySG, and ALAC provided feedback on Applicant Support for IDNs.
- BC, RySG, ALAC, and Jannik Skou submitted comments on the concept of the "middle applicant."
- Nominet and Afilias suggested focusing on other areas of the New gTLD ecosystem.
- Valideus suggested research and studies into program needs and weaknesses.
- John Poole opposed expanding the Applicant Support Program.

- Question 1.2.2 - feedback on other support mechanisms beyond financial support/application submission.
- Nominet - shorter and simpler documentation and publicity/education.
- RySG – focus on application process and improving outreach and publication of the ASP.
- ALAC – make criteria less stringent, expand the definition of communities, and expand technical training, mentorship, and knowledge/capacity building.
- BC - support applicants targeting registrants in underserved regions that use the language and script of that region, leverage lessons learned from the JAS program;  mechanisms should address TLD operator's needs; work with local/regional experts.

From the chat:
Jeff Neuman: I was wondering if there was anyone from the BC that could expand on the comment on "behavoir experienced in the last round."

- Question 1.2.3 -- suggestions for improving publicity/outreach.
- Jannik Skou – engage with ccNSO/GAC/ALAC, add multilingual customer support, improve outreach materials.
- Nominet – leverage regional IGFs.
- RySG – improve outreach ans publication, build relationships with business associations.
- Afilias - identify appropriate partners.
- BC - simplify the process
- ALAC – improve communications and expand training and awareness opportunities.