[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2] Registrant Protections Discussion

Michael Flemming flemming at brightsconsulting.com
Tue Jan 24 13:52:10 UTC 2017

At our last meeting on January 19th at 20 UTC we introduced the Registrant
Protections (EBERO, COI, and When Registrants don't apply topics). While
these topics are vast and much can be discussed, we are unable to spend all
of our time discussing during our bi-weekly hour meetings. Therefore, I
would like to continue this discussion over email.

I attach here the same presentation material we used in the meeting in
order to provide everyone with the necessary background information.
However, I have pulled out the questions from the presentation and listed
them below. These same questions will be copied to the Issues Area Working
Document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YsbOmz06YbXBkUQpj1rljVo-bTH-Br5Ju6cVJvpb2dM/edit?usp=sharing>.
Perhaps it is easier, however, to have a discussion on a consistent email
thread. Key feedback will also be moved to the document.

I invite everyone to provide their opinion to the questions below.

*Critical Registry Functions:*

*Are the current Critical Registry Functions still sufficient or do changes
need to be made? *

*Has any registry gone above the Emergency Threshold before?*

*Has the level of the Emergency Threshold ever been reached that would
initiate an emergency escalation or EBERO?*

*COI:*

*Are the cost measurements for the COI still sufficient to cover the
critical functions for EBERO?*

*Is the time period for the COI sufficient (i.e. 6 years from the execution
date of the RA)?*

*Are the requirements for the Letter of Credit still sufficient?*

*Can other models besides the Letter of Credit and the Cash Escrow Deposit
be considered for the COI requirements?*

*In regards to TLDs like Brand TLDs and Code of Conduct exempt TLDs where
Registrants may not be necessary to protect:*

*Should more relevant rules be established for certain specific cases or
categories of TLDs?*

Below are additional questions I would like to add on material we were not
able to cover in the last meeting. These are kind of last minute additions
and the questions could probably be refined.

*In regards to Background Checks on applicants:*

*Are the background checks a sufficient mechanism for protecting
Registrants?Do the requirements for Background Checks in regards to (1)
General business diligence and criminal history and (2) History of
cybersquatting behavior prove sufficient and/or necessary for TLDs where
Registrant Protections may not be necessary?*

I have a few other additional questions I would like to ask, but need more
time to formulate them.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Michael Flemming