[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] Recording, AC Chat & Attendance from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 3 ­ String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesday, 07 February 2017 at 15:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Feb 7 16:27:13 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and audio recording of the call attached to this
email and the Adobe Connect recording (visual and audio) and AC Chat below
for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track 3 - String
Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Tuesday, 07 February 2017 at 15:00
UTC.

Adobe Connect recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p91ejjbni68/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=3301ff0f1fff3dfc
78bdba634380b2dc21423ab6ed922f1b623118fc8ae11f01>
https://participate.icann.org/p91ejjbni68/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3

Agenda Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/uLPDAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 07 February 2017

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track
3 - String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesday, 07 February 2017 at
15:00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_u
LPDAw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
uLPDAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=l1LwM8oTtzxX4waejW_qHSwp1LCSLHiU9Jca56Ctcm
8&s=RRXrg6_bu9nsCACp33nKxezsGQZlgIzdkNXQJsZ1GI4&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=l1LwM8oTtzxX4waejW_qHSwp1LCSLHiU9Jca56Ctcm8&s=RR
Xrg6_bu9nsCACp33nKxezsGQZlgIzdkNXQJsZ1GI4&e=

  Gg Levine (NABP):I apologise in advance; I need to drop off at 9:30 for
another call.

  Terri Agnew:thank you for this information Gg

  Paul McGrady:Good morning, afternoon, evening!

  avri doria:nothing to add

  Jeff Neuman:Steve will be making breakfast for us

  avri doria:they don't provide coffee any more do they?

  Emily Barabas:CC2 Google Doc:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_documen
t_d_1iZBCVEAJPBYEDg7jLsMHKkNczR-5Fb6-2DjH2Wl5eVH-2DWWM_edit
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_docume
nt_d_1iZBCVEAJPBYEDg7jLsMHKkNczR-5Fb6-2DjH2Wl5eVH-2DWWM_edit&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1
u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn
-H4xR2EBk&m=l1LwM8oTtzxX4waejW_qHSwp1LCSLHiU9Jca56Ctcm8&s=IEPU33oP5L7u5B3Zeh
ThtBFP49V_7LnUPkYSivyKops&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=l1LwM8oTtzxX4waejW_qHSwp1LCSLHiU9Jca56Ctcm8&s=IE
PU33oP5L7u5B3ZehThtBFP49V_7LnUPkYSivyKops&e=

  Jeff Neuman:There are no Freedom of Expression questions yet

  Paul McGrady:@Jeff - correct.

  Paul McGrady:I was confused in thinking that 3.3 modified 3.2, buut it
appears that they are seperate entirely.

  Jon Nevett:Agree -- walk through it all and then we shoot at it

  Emily Barabas:The document is unsynced -- everyone can scroll for
themselves

  Karen Day:thanks, Emily

  Jeff Neuman:Paul - what other harms other than Trademark Infringement (or
likely infringement) would you recommend this policy address?

  Jeff Neuman:Sorry, this objection address?

  Rubens Kuhl:Jeff, note that LRO is currently the vehicle for IGO
objections as well...

  Jeff Neuman:Would you recommend the doctrine of foreign equivalents apply
to only trademarks or would yo propose that they apply to registry operators
of existing gTLDs?

  Rubens Kuhl:Even though it was not used in 2012.

  Jon Nevett:what % of english dictionary terms have a trademark in any
jurisdiction in the world?

  Jon Nevett:disagree with that too

  avri doria:seems to require knowing intent, which is something i thought
we said could not be known (personal view)

  Rubens
Kuhl:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__domainnamewire.com_
2014_02_10_how-2Dcommon-2Dwords-2Dlike-2Dpizza-2Dmoney-2Dand-2Dshopping-2Den
ded-2Dup-2Din-2Dthe-2Dtrademark-2Dclearinghouse-2Dfor-2Dnew-2Dtlds_&d=DwIFaQ
&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qf
qa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=l1LwM8oTtzxX4waejW_qHSwp1LCSLHiU9Jca56Ctcm8&s=DTdvSU4Hvrd
8ngfU0GvT_-P9m3zmMGnSSvs8YvAAqeU&e=

  Rubens Kuhl:(With the caveat disclaimer that LRO criteria is not the same
as TMCH criteria)

  Jeff Neuman:All - I need to drop, but will listen to the rest of the call
later.

  Jeff Neuman:Thanks

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):The policy recommendation states:
Strings must not infringe the existing legal rights of others .. . .   Are
you proposing that the policy recommendation be revised to replace
"infringe" with "abuse"?  If not, what is the rationale for the disconnect
between the policy recommendations and the change to the LRO standing that
you've proposed?

  Rubens Kuhl:Real life problem, evidenced by Merck  x Merck: if marks have
jurisdiction boundaries, does any restriction require geolocation-based
blocking, since the Internet is global in nature ?

  avri doria:what does abuse mean?  seems rather open.

  Rubens Kuhl:Kristina, I believe the timing here is exactly to see whether
policy recommendation changes are needed. It seems this would be a required
policy change to support for an implementation such as Paul is proposing.

  Jon Nevett:I need to drop in a few min too -- have LOTS of concerns with
this proposal as well

  Jon Nevett:we should look at all the LROs from the 2012 round and test any
proposed changes

  Jon Nevett:Paul, what kinds of cases are you trying to get at with the
proposal?  Think the proposal is way too overbroad.

  Alan Greenberg:COuld I please be unmuted (I can't seem to do it myself)

  Steve Chan:@Alan, done, I believe

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):My recollection (although going back to
2007-08) is that the GNSO intended to limit the LRO to trademark
infringement, but I think it's  something that needs to be reviewed.

  Rubens Kuhl:Paul, isn't what you suggested covered by UDRP ? For instance,
if I register chairing.coach, I'm not trying to use to something to be used
with Leather goods... while if someone registers leather.coach or bag.coach,
it's likely to be infringing but could be took down by UDRP.

  Rubens Kuhl:(UDRP and URS, in fact)

  Jon Nevett:citing a second level name as evidence of infringement on a top
level name is not useful -- we have the UDRP and URS to deal with 2nd level
names

  Rubens Kuhl:Have to drop now. Will hear the remaining of the call later.

  Jon Nevett:if we can't demonstrate a problem, then why are we looking for
a solution?

  Emily
Barabas:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann
.org_x_Uz2AAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2d
XAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=l1LwM8oTtzxX4waejW_qHSwp1LCSLHiU9Jc
a56Ctcm8&s=7MXUOVWoGSLcida6YkgaK0k4E2I8GVXvWHgBJRklEEQ&e=

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Have to drop for the RA Amendments
webinar. Thanks, all.

  Terri Agnew:New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track 3 - String
Contention, Objections & Disputes will take place on Tuesday, 21 February
2017 at 20:00 UTC.

  Robin Gross:Thanks Karen and all, bye!