[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] France seizes France.com from man who’s had it since ‘94, so he sues - Ars Technica

Carlos Raul Gutierrez carlosraul at gutierrez.se
Mon Apr 30 18:12:09 UTC 2018

I'm sure you are Greg!

And it was only meant a a slow ball to open up the discussion as you
already know me well :) :) :)

I have hear from some active members of the WT5 than come from the ccTLD
side that they worry more about what happens with GeoNames at the second
level than at the top one.

The artificial lmits we have set on the scope of thirs WT, as well as in
previous charters like the ccNSO-GNSO CWG on Country and Territory
names, are the best example of the fact that by dragging its feet in the
relevant policy issue, we are in the process of make ourselves
irrelevant and others will fill the vacuum sooner rather than later.

The asymmetries between the top and the second level, the asymmetries
between worldwide generics and global TLDs, and the asymmetries in the
different levels of restrictions within the new generics are not only a
serious limitation in the openness of the internet, but are creating
great opportunities to deal with the peoples wishes in other, closed
platforms.

Look forward to our call tomorrow Tuesday in my case, for some fast
balls.

---

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez

El 2018-04-30 11:35, Greg Shatan escribió:

> I'm well aware of the scope of the WG.  However, we don't operate in a vacuum, and this case is both relevant and instructive -- in terms of issues and arguments and for outcomes.
>
> Greg
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 1:24 PM Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:
> It is also a reminder of  the level of bullying that some governments are capable of doing in this space and their disregard for the legitimate rights of others to use words in the DNS.  This is a serious concern -- to see such little regard for the freedom of expression rights to use words with a geographic meaning.  Absent an actual internationally agreed legal rule that holds people can't use the word "France" or other words with geographic meanings, it would be a huge mistake for ICANN to adopt such an anti-innovation and pro-censorship position in domain name policy as demanded by some govts here.
>
> Robin
>
> On Apr 29, 2018, at 3:36 PM, farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Great, lets keep it limited. But thanks Greg for reminding us where we can end up..   some  supported two-letter second level domain names that correspond to cctlds to go to governments and  cctld managers in new gtlds. Some of those were generic pronouns like in and it. But no one had mercy on generic names and no justifiable reason was given other than oh governments own everything when it comes to their cctld... or at least can claim ownership. The irony? Some of those cctld managers are actually private companies benefiting handsomely from this.
>
> Farzaneh
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 4:17 PM, Carlos Raul Gutierrez <carlosraul at gutierrez.se> wrote:
>
> Thanks Greg!
>
> Very interesting but I'm afraid our scope is limited to the top level.....
>
> On April 29, 2018 1:31:59 PM CST, Javier Rua <javrua at gmail.com> wrote: Thanks Greg.
>
> Javier Rúa-Jovet
>
> +1-787-396-6511
> twitter: @javrua
> skype: javier.rua1
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/javrua
>
> On Apr 29, 2018, at 2:05 PM, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I thought this article would be of interest to WT5.
>
> Greg

Links:
------
[1] http://france.com/