[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] "Intended Use" Discussion

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Wed May 9 08:37:30 UTC 2018

Dear Jeff

Thanks for your feedback… here go some comments from my side:

As to the “dozen“ (of geonames not falling under the 2012 AGB…): we need more data. But on some of the cases the geographic connection seems at least intuitive, so it is difficult to accept that companies (especially big ones) were not aware of the geographic connection after a minimal search, but perhaps there was one case or two where they didn’t know…
One important fact that remains is that the “letter of non objection” was not required under the AGB for these cases… so there is fair degree of speculation with points (2) and (3) you mention. But info from applicants and relevant public authorities could help, I guess…

As for “intended use”: the agreements coming out of the application of the “non-objection letter” can perfectly provide for co-use, for shared governance, for complying with conditions on the reputation of the name, for laisser-faire. That is left to the parties. Perhaps the AGB could mention these examples or include info about success stories?

Regarding the questions you suggest I see that you have given a great deal of thought to it ☺.

For the results to be as reliable and objective as possible I feel that -at least- the following basic requirements should be met:

·         The data gathering is done by Staff under the direction of the co-leads

·         The information gathered is easily traceable, i.e. specific URLs are provided and/or source documents are identified publicly available under a wiki

·         Information sources are objective data (such as logs in the application process, from GDD), info from independent third parties (IRP, Panels…). If information from a party is gathered, the other would need to be consulted and their feedback recorded. Hearsay, third party accounts should not be accepted.

As to “question 2” I guess you are referring to applications for strings that had a geographic significance, but did not fall under the 2012 AGB, right?
Which objective criteria would be used to determine that we are talking in fact about a term with geographic significance not covered under the 2012 AGB? It would be good to have some clarity/common understanding about that…
Besides, I don’t fully understand the connection of question 2 h with the “letter of non-objection”, could you clarify? As to 2 i) and j) it seems to me that the questions are maybe directing the responses in some way – questions should be as factual as possible (e.g. “did applicants have conversations with relevant public authorities?” instead of “which applicants were able to have discussions with the applicable governments”; it would also be interesting to know whether “assistance from ICANN was sought in identifying the relevant public authorities?” “if yes, could the contact be established…”).

Finally, the scope of the questionnaire should be very clear (i.e. country names and its variants are not in scope).

In any case, the resulting “table” should clearly separate the cases falling under the AGB 2012 provisions for geonames and those that didn’t. And the data gathered should always clearly identify the geoname-type (e.g. “capital city”, “city”, “subnational region”… or “non AGB 2012”) under the AGB 2012 we are talking about…

I guess that it would be important for others to look into it with detail and prepare this effort with care ☺

Hope this helps

Best regards

Jorge