[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] The 2012 AGB definitions of geographical names.

lists at christopherwilkinson.eu lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Sun Aug 25 19:45:21 UTC 2019

Dear Nick:

The AGB text about geographical names cannot be taken as a ‘rule’ for the Geo-names phases of the next round.

(a)  Recognising that there was a problem, WT5 was set up with a particular structure, incorporating full AS/SO leadership and participation.

(b)   As far as I am concerned, the whole point of WT5 is to propose definitions, rules and policies that are more acceptable to the community, particularly  - in this case - to the global community outside ICANN.

(c)  Recent experience has amply confirmed that there are indeed serious problems with the current definition, which could very well get worse in a new round. I am sure that ICANN’s friends and critics are watching us.

Regards

CW