[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Relay failure notification

Alex_Deacon at mpaa.org Alex_Deacon at mpaa.org
Fri Jul 18 22:35:47 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Thinking about relay i’m curious to hear people views on what happens if there is a relay failure between the P/P service and their customer.

For example, in a scenario where no P/P is in use, when I attempt to communicate with the registrant using info in WHOIS and there is some kind of failure, (be it a bounce-o-gram for email, a call "can’t be completed” or "number not in service" error for phone and a undeliverable indication for postal mail) the failure indication is returned to me and I am aware of it.

Would this be true when a P/P is in the middle of me and the registrant using the P/P service?   I suspect that if there is an automated process in place (email for example) I may.  But if a manual process is in place (for email, phone or snail mail) there is a possibility that I (as the original requestor) may not always know if a failure has occurred between the P/P service and their customer.

There should be parity between the P/P world and the non-P/P world in this regard and the original requestor should be aware of any failures that may occur between the P/P service and the customer.

To be clear I’m not talking about not getting a response (i get it) - I’m only interested in the failure scenario.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Alex