[gnso-rds-pdp-purpose] Team outputs - Summaries

Maryan Rizinski rizinski at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:49:54 UTC 2016

Hi Susan, Chuck, all,

Sorry for not being able to join the call this morning. The schedule was
too early for me to catch up with it as I was already commuting to work. At
any rate, I am providing some textual input on my rationale for choosing
the documents.

*EWG Recommendations for a Next-Generation RDS*

This comprehensive document has relevant sections that identify, analyze
and define in a rigorous way the various categories of users and their
purpose for accessing registration data. The analysis of the EWG is well
structured and also carefully summarized in tables that are both detailed
and, at the same time, precise and easy to read. In brief, the EWG
recommendations provide a solid base for framing the questions that we are
trying to address in our working group. The document is an excellent source
of information that would help us facilitate our subsequent deliberations.

*WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report (2012)*

This report is another comprehensive document similar to the EWG
recommendations. It contains a number relevant parts that give hints to
answering the question of what is the over-arching purpose of collecting,
maintaining, and providing access to gTLD registration data. The importance
of this question makes the WHOIS report relevant to this PDP.

*SAC055, WHOIS: Blind Men and an Elephant (September 2012)*

SAC055 provides further insight into the WHOIS Policy Review Team Final
Report (2012). In particular, SAC055 emphasizes the need of a single
consensus policy, explains why the attempts to reach consensus failed
repeatedly and suggests recommendations to the ICANN Board of Directors to
help overcome the challenges that occurred in the past.

*GAC Communiqués regarding WHOIS (2007-2015)*

The GAC principles regarding gTLD WHOIS services identify a number of
important areas where WHOIS data is used such as supporting Internet's
security and stability, determining availability of domain names, enforcing
national and international laws, combating against abusive uses of ICTs,
etc. All these recommendations are solid and also related to this PDP so
they may help facilitate our work.

*Article 29 WP on ICANN Procedure for Handling WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy
Law (2007)*

This letter
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/schaar-to-cerf-12mar07-en.pdf>
stresses the importance of defining the purpose of registration data so
that its processing and use complies with EU data and protection
legislation. I think that ensuring such legal compliance should be always
kept in mind when defining the purpose in our PDP so that registrars
operating under EU legislation do not face legal issues when trying to meet
the registrar accreditation agreements.

Best regards,

Maryan