[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] For WG Review - Redlined Problem Statement

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 22:44:21 UTC 2016

Anecdotally, as a regular user of WHOISes, I would say that most if not all
WHOIS access pages have "Captchas" or other bot-defenders.  Not a direct
answer to your question, perhaps, but at least an observation.

GregBot

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Stephanie Perrin <
stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> I too would like to heed Chuck's advice, but have a burning question:  Do
> registries have any way of distinguishing between bots and people, in their
> citing of stats?  If so, how?  Could some kind of authentication protocol
> do this?
>
> thanks
>
> Stephanie
>
> On 2016-08-24 17:42, Ayden Férdeline wrote:
>
> I’m going to heed Chuck’s advice, but just to respond briefly to your
> message, Elaine, the number of queries you cited does not necessarily
> translate into human beings performing these searches. So to your comment
> that, “clearly people aware of whois are using it” – sure, but what is not
> clear to me from the figures you have extracted is how many unique
> individuals we talking about.
>
> - Ayden

>>> 415.222.8318 (t)
>>> 415.419.9138 (m)