[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] For WG Review - Redlined Problem Statement

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Wed Aug 24 23:33:28 UTC 2016

> Unless someone can help us understand how this discussion is relevant
> to the tasks in front of us and particularly to our near term work,

"consumers" are in the "1st camp" mission statement, yet it would
_appear_ statistically from the research presented, that it's around 1%
of consumers with a "vested interest" so I think the point is that they
shouldn't be

That's assuming we accept a "domain oriented company" sponsored research
into domains, which I would imagine massively overstates the 1.7% by a
significant margin (and the results seem equally untrusted by others in
the WG)

I am having someone code up an actual measurement of registrants
accessing the whois data by xref'ing ip accessing domain data within our
system, whois requests about their domains, and whois queries from their
ips to determine "real" data about registrant knowledge and use of whois
- we have the raw data going back to Nov 2009 so can get some useful
data to present once that is completed

The bulk of our customers are Business, primarily in the under 10M/PA
range (so classified under EU levels and micro, small and medium), a
"retail" registrar would need to do something similar to give the
"personal" registrants viewpoint - Volker @ KS perhaps ?

Rob