[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The overflowing list (was Re: A new and rather important document with respect to jurisdiction issues)

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Sat Jul 16 04:05:10 UTC 2016

My apologies.  There is a lot of work involved here is dissecting what
the decision means in terms of jurisdictional issues.  There are three
issues that are key in my view, just off the top, but I need to study
the document.

  * Where the registrars are required to escrow data is critical if
    nation states attempt to access it for law enforcement purposes,
    outside an MLAT.  Recall that EU registrars report difficulties in
    getting their preferred escrow agents accepted in lieu of Iron Mountain
  * Where the RDS (whether a central database or federated or completely
    disaggregated) resides becomes important for law enforcement access.
  * Where the Registrar, who has important data retention requirements
    under the 2013 RAA, keeps its data becomes important.

I hope this helps. Once I digest the document, I promise more detail.
However, this is an important development (pending a potential appeal to
the Supreme Court of course, or legislative change which seems unlikely
given the current congressional realities)

Stephanie Perrin