[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] An important technical consideration about nature of the service (was Re: The overflowing list )

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu Jul 21 13:34:44 UTC 2016

the RDS Volker Greimann wrote:
> /I disagree that the problem of how to authenticate law enforcement
> requests should be dumped at the doorstep of contracted parties. The
> policy must be complete and give structure to this issue./
I agree with the sense of Volker's position and did not mean that ICANN
should or can wash it hands clean of the process of defining how to
authenticate law enforcement requests, but it should not try to go it
alone on just DNS data. Here, I would separate  out the "how to
authenticate" from the rest of the RDS discussion. I would suggest that
it be carried out in a wider multistakeholder discussion where ICANN is
an interested stakeholder working with interested constituencies (human
rights, etc.) governments and law enforcement officials, working to
fashion a policy that probably results in multilateral agreements.

There will not be a authentication process for DNS data that is separate
from the authentication process for data elsewhere in the Internet and
digital ecosystem. As current case after case demonstrates, law
enforcement access to DNS related data is only a small slice of the data
now being requested. The trans-border nature of data means that
multilateral agreements are inevitable and the only path to a
sustainable (and hopefully sane) policy.

Sam Lanfranco, NPOC/CSIH