[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Domain Name Management

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Fri Dec 8 15:24:37 UTC 2017

It might help to distinguish between two types of "prospective buyer"
here. One is an unsolicited (possibly unwelcome) inquiry about purchase,
and the other is an offer to buy based on an owner's intent to sell, or
willingness to respond to a purchase query.  In the first case the
owner, and the registrar, have no obligation, and the interested party
is left to its own devices. As well, neither requires deep access to the
registration data.

For someone taking over a domain name, one would expect that they would
do due diligence both in cooperation with the seller, and throughout the
nooks and crannies of the Internet ecosystem. Deeper access to RDS/whois
type data would probably be a tiny part of that due diligence, and
access to more private data is an issue between the buyer and the
seller. There is scope for due diligence and dialogue outside the
registration data, and domain names are not like products in a vending
machine. One does not look through the glass, put money in the slot, and
punch a button, with a URL falling out of the machine. It is a
negotiation with due diligence.  (my 2 cents here)

Sam L.

On 12/8/2017 9:54 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:
> I would disagree. The only entities permitted to perform domain
> management actions, are the registrant, the registrar, and any agents
> deignated by them to perform these roles. A prospective buyer does not
> conduct domain management functions until he is entered as registrant.
>

> Am 08.12.2017 um 15:49 schrieb Andrew Sullivan:
>> On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 12:55:54PM -0500, Sam Lanfranco wrote:
>>> Management (as a verb) is normally taken to mean the active
>>> engagement of
>>> the owner, or owner's contractually related parties, in the
>>> organization and
>>> coordination of the activities of a business in order to achieve
>>> defined
>>> objectives. Using the word "management" here suggests that we are
>>> limiting
>>> ourselves to what data elements are necessary to collect for the use
>>> of the
>>> domain name holder, the registrar and the registry. There are no other
>>> parties engaged in the "management" of the domain name.
>>>
>>> Correct?
>> It seems to me that someone taking over a domain name -- that is, a
>> prospective registrant or domain name holder -- is also another party,
>> but perhaps that's just a variant on the above.
>>
>> Best regards,

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852