[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] New Year Challenge

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:44:50 UTC 2017

Since we were talking about entities "who do not self-identify as"
resellers, who aren't resellers within the meaning of the term in the RAA,
and who almost certainly don't carry out most of the functions of resellers
set forth in Section 3.12 of the RAA, it's confusing at best to call all of
these intermediaries "resellers."

I doubt that big resellers such as ISPs and hosting providers will turn
into "gray market account holders."  Domain name reselling is just an
integrated part of their overall online offering.  I don't expect that this
type of reseller would register your domain in their own name (but I could
be wrong, of course).  I think this is much more common with your friendly
neighborhood web developer, advertising/marketing agency, etc., who then
registers the domain name with their registrar (often as if they were an
end user).  (I run across this quite often with smaller clients, and I try
to fix it as quickly as possible.)

Greg S.