[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] New Year Challenge

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jan 4 19:25:28 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 01:44:50PM -0500, Greg Shatan wrote:
> set forth in Section 3.12 of the RAA, it's confusing at best to call all of
> these intermediaries "resellers."

Sure.  We can call them Sparky the Wonder Dogs, if we like; but the
key point is that it is useful -- for network operations, for
technical support people, and for lawyers who realise that their
clients' domain names are registered improperly -- to be able to look
up this minimal information about who registered a domain name, and to
do so without formal credentials (because _ex hypothesi_ here the
"real" domain name holder doesn't have a direct relationship with the
registrar or, in some of these cases, isn't actually the registrant).

The question started off as whether there was a legit use case for
this, and I think we've demonstrated through this discussion that
there is.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com