[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Now open: 18 January Poll on Purpose

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Thu Jan 26 08:36:27 UTC 2017

Stephanie

Ok that’s simple.
If you want a domain name to resolve on the internet you need certain data elements to be available to everyone.
That’s a technical reality.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

From: Stephanie Perrin <stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca>
Date: Thursday 26 January 2017 at 04:26
To: John Bambenek <jcb at bambenekconsulting.com>, Michele Neylon <michele at blacknight.com>
Cc: Scott Hollenbeck <shollenbeck at verisign.com>, Sam Lanfranco <sam at lanfranco.net>, "dave at davecake.net" <dave at davecake.net>, "gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org" <gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Now open: 18 January Poll on Purpose

I am not sure how we get to this discussion.  What I am saying, is that the purpose of collecting data has to be linked to ICANN's core mission.  AS Peter said a while ago, is the core mission to enable law enforcement investigations? No.  It is a legitimate purpose to use or disclose limited sets of data as required in accordance with law, but it is not the reason we collect or generate thin data.  This distinction is important in data protection law.  Nobody is saying we should not disclose the thin data, including name servers.  What we are trying to say, and obviously with very little success, is that several of the purposes for collecting thin data which were in the last poll, were not related to ICANN's core mission.  They might be legitimate disclosures of data, but they are not legitimate purposes to collect.

Displaying data in WHOIS is a disclosure.  We are not supposed to be talking about that yet.  We keep conflating the legitimacy of collection, and why we gather or generate data elements about a domain name, and disclosure.

Sorry to keep hammering on this, but it is a very simple concept that is fundamental to data protection.  No wonder we have been arguing about this for 18 years.....

cheers Stephanie