[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Discussion Topics

Rod Rasmussen rod at rodrasmussen.com
Thu Jul 20 15:38:17 UTC 2017

Chuck,

Please consider it “put forward” then. :-)

I too have been experimenting a bit with registration-specific phone numbers and distressingly find the same issue - call upon call that only started to the number once the data was published in whois *AND* in the hands of the registrar of course (hard to tell who the real villain is given that, probably both).  Many of these are the Indian boiler rooms pretending to be “Microsoft support” for example.

This fits in with the concepts we were discussing last week on “preferred contact methods” for a particular contact object (person/legal entity).  For example, we could still mandate collecting a phone number, but only publishing it for particular purposes and providing a “preferred public contact” method that is less intrusive depending upon the preferences of that contact.  Not saying I endorse that approach or not, just saying that we need to be thinking along those directions.  For example, I could provide my e-mail address as my preferred “public” contact method since I can spam filter it far more effectively than phone calls, but still be reachable via phone for important technical issues or abuse problems with some sort of vetting.

At the end of the day we’re talking about a “directory service” here and we need to be approaching it from how we would engineer one at the end of the second decade of the 21st century rather than the beginning of the last decade of the 20th.  A long list of fixed field parameters tied to a single primary database key (domain name) that are one-size-fits-all for collection and public publication are definitely “old school”.  Object-oriented data with relational pointers and flexible context that allow for differentiated publication are a bit more modern...

Cheers,

Rod