[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contactability

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Nov 28 17:58:52 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 06:43:31PM +0100, Volker Greimann wrote:
> re:hotbed I was rather intending to ask whether there is a direct
> correllation between TLDs with redacted whois and issues that go unresolved.
> So do you have more unresolved issues in .co.uk than in .com (if numbers are
> normalized for registered domain names).

I think the problem with that approach is that you're talking about
the average case rather than whether something is working by design.

As a general matter, of course, _most_ sites don't have unresolved
issues, and most people don't have bilateral connections with most
domains, so it would be essentially impossible to measure how often
this problem happens.

The point is that the design of the Internet _requires_ this sort of
contact system precisely because it is based on entities connecting
without any prior contractual or indirect-contractual relationship.
In a contempoary phone system, everyone is subject to the contractual
relationships, often transitively and through the treaty orgs.  But
that's not how packets on the Internet flow.

> I am sure no one would consider blocking the entire mail traffic originating
> from the United Kingdom Top Level Domain just because you cannot resolve
> some issues in a few domains, correct?

I don't know why you are so sure about that.  There certainly are
anti-spam RBLs that have blocked entire countries' IP ranges.

> So if everyone followed their (or a similar) model, the internet would not
> break.

"The Internet" is not going to break.  What's going to happen is that
the design of the Internet is going to be violated, and that violation
will be visited as externalized costs on network operators.  Those are
different statements.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com