[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contactability

theo geurts gtheo at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 28 20:11:16 UTC 2017

Agreed Kris,

Thanks, Allison, though this is, I guess, the cold hard truth, selling
domains dirt cheap or giving them away is a sure method to poison a TLD,
I think it is a separate issue when discussing RDS.

And the examples are clear, and at a point, such TLD operators need to
re-think their business model and act accordingly to keep their TLD alive.

So in May 2018, we will see a lot of use of the privacy services due to
the GDPR, I guess mostly at a Registrar level, but let's not rule out
that it might be on a Registry level, the dynamics here are shifting day
by day.
So my question here, and I hope we can discuss this in good faith, but
it seems to me that the WHOIS will be an irrelevant factor when it comes
to the risk/reputation score?
How does/will that play out?

And yes, this is not exactly related to our work when it comes to RDS,
but since we have the expertise here, I think it would be useful to
explore this a little more even though off topic. I hope the leadership
team allows this to get a better understanding, for the community on
what is going down and might happen in a just a few months here.

And if we need to do this offlist, sure, no problem. I am just trying to
get a sense to here to comply with the law and keep a business running.

Thanks

Theo