[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] IMPORTANT: Invitation for Poll from 20 September Meeting

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu Sep 21 14:37:45 UTC 2017

I don't know if I am the voice of caution here, or simply off the
playing field. /(That is what the Delete button is for.)/ But, I want to
caution against something here. We can go two directions in matching a
data element to a purpose. We have been using one approach and saying
that a data element should only be captured if there is an acceptable
purpose.

In the proposed inclusion of the history of domains (how rich (which
data) and how far back?) we are slipping toward another approach,
starting with a purpose and proposing a (growing) set of data elements
that should be captured. I am not sure it is practical, doable, or wise
to start with purposes and cast a wide data net.

We at least need to consider the merits of a purpose driven data capture
approach before getting into its details. Doing this is not a forgone
conclusion.

Sam L.

On 9/21/2017 10:18 AM, Paul Keating wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Are you advocating that this WG needs to expand the meaning of RDS to
> include
> the history of domains?
>
> I do not see the difference. I want to make sure that the ³purposes² are
> applicable to both current RDS data elements and those already captured.
> It is unrealistic to presume that only current data will be retained.
> And, historical data is consistent with purpose.  For example, if ³a²
> purpose is for security it would seem that this purpose applies not only
> to current data elements but also to historical ones.
>
> And, in any event, consideration must be given to the real application at
> the collection level.  I think it would be rather foolhardy to narrow our
> focus on immediate collection and not also consider impact on data
> retention.  Otherwise we are handing the collectors a problem to deal with
> in terms of monitoring their database 24/7.
>
> Paul
>

> On 9/21/17, 3:06 PM, "Andrew Sullivan" <gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org
> on behalf of ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 02:54:40PM +0200, Paul Keating wrote:
>>> It is also important to include purposes that would reach historical
>>> data
>>> that has already been collected.
>> That would be an entirely new service from the existing RDDS.  Are you
>> advocating that this WG needs to expand the meaning of RDS to include
>> the history of domains?  Because as far as I know such a service is
>> not contractually required of registries or registrars today.
>>
>>> We also need to allow for the adoption of additional purposes in the
>>> future.
>>> As an example, 4 years ago WHOIS was not commonly used in cyber security
>>> research.  Today it is one of the more important tools used by all
>>> investigators.
>> I do not believe that it was not commonly used that way 4 years ago.
>> Indeed, when we stood up .info in 2001, I recall some of the feature
>> decisions we made were there for security-research reasons.  Moreover,
>> you are suggesting that the list of reasons for collection needs to be
>> open ended, but my impression from the privacy commissioner input
>> we've had so far is that such an open-ended list is not allowed: if
>> you have a new purpose, you need to introduce that to the parties
>> whose data you are collecting and get explicit consent.  So I think we
>> cannot do what you're envisioning here.
>>
>> Best regards,

>> --
>> Andrew Sullivan
>> ajs at anvilwalrusden.com

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852