[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] IMPORTANT: Invitation for Poll from 20 September Meeting

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu Sep 21 14:55:12 UTC 2017

I don't like being on a comment roll here but I think we are on the cusp
of issues that can divide and delay our work, or can be dealt with and
expedite our work. In a form follows function approach (which we are
using here) the data element conditional is "at least one purpose for
collecting each data element in the MPDS" and purpose conditional is
"must be sufficient for making that data element public".

In Paul's comments (below) he raises two concerns. The second is that
additional purposes may emerge for the use of MPDS, purposes that have
not been enumerated. So be it. So long as they are legal (which is a
separate issue), so be it. If someone gets an idea to use the data for
Sudoku, so be it. There is no issue there.

His first concern, that terms such as "legal action" are under defined
(legal proceedings vs arbitration, infringement, etc.) is not an issue
here. These are public MPDS and accessible to all, not for just the
purpose used to make a data element part of the MPDS. If high school
debate teams want to use the data, so be it. There is no issue there.

IMHO

Sam L.

On 9/21/2017 8:54 AM, Paul Keating wrote:
> I am seeking to expand upon my responses in the poll.
>
> Question 1./*There must be at least one purpose for collecting each
> data element in the MPDS, and that purpose must be sufficient for
> making that data element public.*/
>
> I am concerned that the use of “purpose” here is somewhat misleading.
>  While each Data element must be linked to some purpose, the data
> element itself does not need to solve or satisfy the purpose.  It can
> be one aspect of the solution.  An example would be name, address,
> phone, email.  They are all linkable to the purpose of identification
> (which in turn is important for enforcement of rights, etc).  However
> no one of those elements are acting alone sufficient.  Rather, they
> all work together (as do other elements in the RDS (e.g. IP address)
> to further the goal of identification.
>
> Question 2.Are the WG agreements on purpose(s) thus far - see WG
> agreements #5 through #13 listed in the 20 September meeting handout
> <https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/66086756/RDSPDP-Handout-For20SeptCall-v2.pdf> -
> sufficient to meet the requirement stated in Q2 above? In other words,
> have we defined at least one purpose for collecting every data element
> in the MPDS, sufficient for making all data elements in the MPDS
> public? Why or why not?
> I do not believe the list is sufficient in stating all potential
> purposes.  For example:
>
> Legal action is listed. This is a specific term used to indicate the
> commencement of formal legal proceedings.  It does not incorporate
> equitable or contractual processes (e.g. Arbitration, injunction,
> etc).  Nor does it incorporate investigation.
>
> Criminal investigations.  This also is insufficient as it does not
> include civil investigations (e.g. Infringement, fraud, etc).
>
> It is also important to include purposes that would reach historical
> data that has already been collected.  Thus, historical WHOIS research
> is important for those items listed in the linked list (and those
> noted above).  For example domain  highjacking can be traced only via
> use of historical data.  Confirmation of title for the purposes of
> domain name acquisitions and dispositions – particularly as domain
> names become more and more valuable.
>
> We need (IMO) to expand the identifiable listing.
>
> We also need to allow for the adoption of additional purposes in the
> future.  As an example, 4 years ago WHOIS was not commonly used in
> cyber security research.  Today it is one of the more important tools
> used by all investigators.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Paul
>
> From: <gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org
> <mailto:gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org>> on behalf of Lisa Phifer
> <lisa at corecom.com <mailto:lisa at corecom.com>>
> Date: Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:42 AM
> To: <gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org <mailto:gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org>>
> [...]

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852