[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] separating topics (was Re: ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Sep 28 16:50:49 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:56:48AM -0400, Sam Lanfranco wrote:
> We are trying to identify that core of public personal data that should be
> in the open-access (no gated restrictions) record of information about the
> registrant of the URL.

Is that correct?  I didn't understand that at all.  I thought that we
were still only talking about collection, and what data should be
collected beyond the already-determined minumum public data set.
Whether that should be published and how was, I thought, a later
question.

(Also, because I can't help myself in my nerdy quest about terminology
here, registrants do not register URLs.  They register domain names.
Domain names are only a part of URLs, and only sometimes at that, and
I think we need to be clear what the limit of the domain of policy
discussion is.)

> or ICANN to try to make it a policy, that privacy/proxy services be provided
> by all registrars It is up to registrars and registrants to sort out

I think the reason that keeps coming up is because people are
attempting to apply the whois-model of the world to this discussion,
and are coming up with answers that correspond exactly to how whois
has evolved given the pressures on it.  I think that is a mistake, but
it is nevertheless understandable.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com