[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] separating topics (was Re: ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Sep 28 19:07:14 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 03:02:45PM -0400, Sam Lanfranco wrote:
> In that vein can someone remind me, in a sentence, why ICANN should insist
> that any data be collected beyond the minimum public data set.
> There is the technical data associated with each domain name

This seems to be the MPDS.

> , and there is
> the business/service data the registrars need to provide there services.

As an operator who might face problematic connectivity with some other
named domain, I need to be able to contact the operator of that named
domain.  That is not business/service data that registrars need to
provide the services, that's data that _I_ need to interoperate the
Internet.  This is an important point that I think Allison has also
been making.

The Internet does not work only through prior contractual
relationships.  That is different than the way that (say) the phone
system always worked.  The cost to that is that some data identifying
operators is going to be publicly disclosed.

> Again, why should ICANN insist on more?

Because that's how the DNS works.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com